Chic diet

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by housemama23, Apr 9, 2012.

1. housemama23

housemama23 New Egg

Feb 11, 2012
    Arvada, CO
    At what age is it ok to start giving chics easily digestable food other than chic feed and chic grit? Some tiny moths have flown into the brooder on occasion and the babies go nuts over whose going to get it. Our girls are about 1.5 weeks old right now and all doing well.

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    In limited quantities you can start right now. Finely chopped greens, meal worms or other bugs, and that sort of thing. Just don't give them more than they can clean up in a few minutes once per day. They need to be getting most of their nutrition from their balanced ration.

My brooders are in an open bay of my workshop. This time of year the brooder lights draw night bugs. No need to introduce them to the chicks. They've already met! A big beetle or moth gets in while I've got the box open and it's Jurassic Park all over again.

1 person likes this.
  3. GSDBESTK9

GSDBESTK9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    Maryland
    This is good to know, thanks for posting. My Chicks are only 1 week old. I'm only feeding them the Chick Starter food, should they be eating Grit as well???

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

What A.T. Hagan said.

I give mine small amounts of finely minced veggies from the start.

Chick grit is used for grinding up the food, in the gizzard. Kinda like teeth.
    It is needed whenever you start feeding anything other than the starter feed.

Imp- bugs are yummy

Edited for clarity- chick grit is not needed if the chicks are only eating starter. It is soft enough.

Edited a second time to welcome housemama23 and GSDBESTK9 to BYC.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  5. housemama23

housemama23 New Egg

Feb 11, 2012
    Arvada, CO
    Thanks for the info.....the girls will be stooked to hear the good news!
    I guess I should say "eat" the good news :)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  6. GSDBESTK9

Apr 5, 2012
    Maryland
    Awesome!! Thank you! :)

7. KimKimWilliamso

KimKimWilliamso Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    Nanton, AB, Canada
    I have introduced several soft foods to my 4 and a half week old chicks since they were 1 week old. Some went great, others not so much. Eggs (scrambled and hardboiled) and apples were a no go. Romaine lettuce shredded, yogurt, Silver Hills Squirley bread, steamed mashed carrots all went good. We give them very small amounts every other day.

8. LunaticCafe

LunaticCafe Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2012
    My chicks were just over a week old when my b/f gave them a big fat june bug. They went nuts! I wouldn't have thought they could eat something that big, but they figured it out. There was running, peeping, tug-of-wars - it was hilarious! Good thing I had already started giving them a little grit sprinkled over their food. They are three weeks old now, and had their first cricket yesterday. Similar reaction. :)

9. GSDBESTK9

Apr 5, 2012
    Maryland
    So as soon as I start giving them other food, I have to make sure they have access to Grit right? And where do you all get the worms from???[​IMG]

10. WI FarmChick

WI FarmChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Yes, as soon as they start eating things other than their starter feed. they will need grit.
    but sometimes for the first time with grit ...they might think it is food and eat too much. just watch them and take it away for bit.

Some people dig worms or grow their own. You can do a search at the top of the page for Earthworms or mealy worms. there is a lot of info here on BYC about worms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by