chic lost eye :-(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by loiseee, Dec 4, 2011.

1. loiseee

loiseee Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    mena, arkansas
    Hi,
    I have a 1 day old chic that has lost an eye. Mom is sitting and this is the first to hatch, found it with blood and a blood filled eye and blood in it;s mouth. It is drinking and seems fine otherwise. It is in the house by the way.. it is now closed up and I am not sure how to treat it. Not 100% sure, but think mom stepped on it.

Thanks

2. Justuschicks

Justuschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2010
    Keswick, Virginia
    Ahhh poor baby. Not sure there is anything you can do other than to keep it clean and maybe apply some antibiotic ointment. Good Luck.

3. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Is the eye gone...? Missing in the socket? Or just swollen shut and not truly looking like an eye?? Grab the little pep and clean it up a bit.... Check to see what you are dealing with and if it is gone, well then you decide the fate of the bird. On eye is fine for a bird as long as the "dead eye' is not red and swollen and pecked by her/his fellow coop-mates. Good luck. I am sure it will work out as it should!

4. loiseee

loiseee Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2011
    mena, arkansas
    Thanks everyone, the chick is doing fine. he/she has the eye, just not sure if it can see. It was filled with blood and was twice the size it should have been, then it drained and the eye scabbed over a little, the eye looks smaller than normal now, but it is doing fine.

Thanks again.

Loise

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Quote:Agreed, keep it separated till it heals or the other chicks will peck it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by