Chic Water - When to take the marbles out ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MTopPA_18707, Mar 19, 2011.

1. MTopPA_18707

MTopPA_18707 Chillin' With My Peeps

Our 13 chicks are only a week old . . . but already they seem old enough that accidental drowning in the waterer is unlikely.

I think it's time to take th marbles out. Cleaning and refilling the water would be easier w/o them.

At what age do you guys remove the marbles ?

Kevin & Kids

2. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    I've never put marbles in the waterer. I put a block of wood under it so it's about chest high....this also keeps the shavings out.

3. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    I take mine out about the time you have- they seem to have better control of their tiny bodies by then [​IMG]

4. packmomma

packmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Argos, IN
    You know its time when the waterer is so full of shavings that you cant see the rocks lol about one week.. your good!

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I don't put many marbles in, just enough to keep the water level a bit lower. And I take them out at the first water change, usually about 2-3 days.

6. Komaki

Komaki Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Like Packmomma said,1wk. the instinct to drown themselves is gone by then.

7. rouenedmylife

rouenedmylife New Egg

Feb 23, 2011
    I never put marbles in the water and didnt lose a single one I think thats more of an issue with the dumber poultry like partridge peafowl guinea etc. didnt lose a single one

8. jenesis536

jenesis536 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2010
    CA
    I'm pretty sure you're cool by now. I never used them, but I suppose if the lip of my waterer was wider I might've worried about it a little in the first couple of weeks, but never had an issue here.

9. MTopPA_18707

MTopPA_18707 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks gang - the marbles are out.

Here's something interesting I noticed when they were just a few days old . . .

Some chicks would sit facing the feeder . . . I mean sit right down on their bellies to sleep . . . as they dozed off their face would lower into the water.

Just thought I'd share.

Kevin

PS:> I had already had the marbles from day one, based on reading . . . but when I saw that I put the waterer on top of a 1 inch piece of wood.
    The additional one inch elevation solved the sleeping/drowning problem and reduced the about of wood chips that they got into their water.

10. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Quote:Great job [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by