Chic with sore and swollen foot, need advice PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hhartsong, Jan 28, 2015.

1. hhartsong

hhartsong Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2014
    My 4 week old baby Rooster's foot is swollen, has a sore on top of his foot, and a blister on the bottom. When I checked on all of my new chicks on Monday evening they were all fine. The next day, I was checking on them and see this one hopping on one foot. As I looked closer I saw his band had gotten too tight and was cutting off the circulation to his foot. I immediately took the band off and soaked his foot in warm soapy water, then applied blue kote to the entire foot and ankle.
    Today he looks a little better but not much, What else can I do?? I feel so bad for him... I also removed all the bands from the other roosters as a precaution.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Bands on growing chicks can get too small very quickly. I would probably use warm epsom salts once a day to soak the foot in, but don't get him too wet, and of course, dry him off well. Continue using a anti-infective product such as betadine, Neosporin ointment, or the BluKote to help prevent infection. Don't break the blister. Watch for an abscess around the sore. It's good you found this in time to save his foot.Good luck.

3. hhartsong

Jun 25, 2014
    How long should I soak his foot? Should I wrap his foot at all or just leave it unwrapped after applying the blu-kote? I knew breaking the blister was probably not recommended, thanks for confirming that for me. What should I do if the blister breaks on its own??

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If the blister breaks, just apply betadine. I would soak them for 5-10 minutes, until the water cools. At his age I probably wouldn't wrap the foot, since it is swollen, and wrapping it could cause more swelling.

5. hhartsong

Jun 25, 2014
    Thank you very much for the help!! I am relatively new at raising chickens and have never had a problem like this before.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You're welcome. I hope he gets better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by