1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicago considers banning city chickens: USA Today article

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tarazod, Dec 21, 2007.

1. tarazod

tarazod Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2007
    Madison, WI
    Chicago is considering placing a ban on city chickens. This would be a set back for the urban chicken movement. The Alder persons involved claim that noise, smells and increased rodents are the reasons.

Noise is not an issue. Simply banning roosters would solve the problem. The neighbor's dog is without question the greater of the noise polluters when compared to a few hens.

If urban city keepers are responsible and prudent in their upkeep of their hens, smells are not an issue...again the neighbor's dog is the greater of the two generators of toxic waste.

And as for rodents...they're in the city already, whether hens join the mix or not. Once again, responsible chicken keepers should not have any major issues here.

Chicago, like Seattle, Portland, Los Angeles, NYC, Madison and many other municipalities have set the tone with their chicken-friendly zoning laws. Don't let these gains be lost.

Read the USA article on how Chicago has postponed their decision on this issue.

2. FarmerMack

FarmerMack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2007
    Stanford, KY
    there is another thread about this lunacy. something about peeping noises, politician that dont know how to take care of pets or compost

LOL

[​IMG]

Farmer Mack [​IMG]

3. Xtradust

Xtradust Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Orange, CA
    I was kind of upset when I first heard about this, but I'm not sure how serious this problem is now.

From all of the newscasts I've watched and things I've read, I think it's just one of those stories every station picks up on when there really isn't anything else to report. News filler.

None of the stories have much detail about what's going on. Just that some people feel chickens smell, make noise and can spread disease and the people that own chickens disagree.

It's almost like it was a one paragraph story from the AP that everyone else used.

I just can't imagine that there is one place in the country that has enough backyard chickens to make a whole city upset. If there is I'm moving there!

4. FarmerMack

FarmerMack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2007
    Stanford, KY
    It's probably here in Effingham NH but since it seems everyone in town has a few chickens and it's in the country no one seems to be upset LOL:cd
    And your probably correct that they were having a slow news day. Guess all the policticians running for President were taking a dump and that wasnt news worthy enough [​IMG]
    Farmer Mack [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  5. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I watched the new report ont he Fox website. They treated it as a joke.

They did bring up some good points about noise from dogs being louder than noise from hens and that dog poop is just as prevalent as chicken poop for allegedly attracting rodents. Also, one of the so called experts mentioned how if someone got sick, the chicken would pay the price. Very true in the ignorance of people who have not ever had anything to do with chickens.

6. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I think it was a huge concern in the beginning, because they were going to try to ram the change through very fast, before anyone could do anything about it. Enough people on the chicken owning side mobilized support fast enough, that it could be delayed and a more rational decision could be considered. If they hadn't gotten on this right away, I think chickens would already have been outlawed there, based on misinformation instead of factual information.

7. Xtradust

Xtradust Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Orange, CA
    Do rodents really eat the poop or are they there for the feed?

If they do eat the poop, maybe I won't kill them off so fast.

I can always use help getting rid of chicken poop.

8. horsechick

horsechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2007
    Eaton, Ohio
    Hi,
    Just had to write, they should probably worry about all those nasty pigeons, tax payer money spent cleaning up after them, building owners spending money to get rid of them, people taking clothing to dry cleaners because they are a pigeon target, [​IMG] on and on.... before they go banning someones pets......
    As long as they are taken care of correctly, healthy etc, people should be allowed to have them.
    JMO
    Happy holidays

9. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    They already banned keeping pigeons in Chicago. I think it was four years ago. It's getting tough to be a bird in that city!

10. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I feel sorry for the chicken lovers in chicago. This is a very ridiculous ban. The reason they rats are infesting the place is rats feast on dog poo and people who throw there garbage in the streets. Now you see some cons of living in the city is I guess. Is there any way owners will be able to talk to the people about lifting this ban if it happens? If I was in chicago I would make plans about setting up a meeting at the town hall and put in so good key points

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by