Chicens not eating well, losing weight

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jdywntr, Oct 26, 2011.

1. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    The situation:
    I don't often pick them up though they don't object to it when I do. I picked one of them up today and it seems like she has lost alot of weight. Her breastbone is prominent. They all look good visually except my silkie who is molting but when I feel them they all seem to have lost weight.

A few weeks back, my feed store was out of my regular feed (Naturewise All Flock) so I got a layer crumble (same brand but with calcium and lower protein). The girls didn't seem to like it but did eat it. I was able to get my regular feed about 2 weeks later. Now they don't seem to be eating it either.

Any idea why they lost weight, other than not eating as much? I did start adding cracked corn to the feed recently to cut down on the protein. The last feed that I had had bugs in it (why I ran out). Could they have worms or something from that? They are all acting normal, active, coloring is good, they have cut back to laying every other day (at least) but I figure that is time of year.

Any ideas? Should I worm them? I never have but I would like to put more weight on them. If I give them scratch or veggies they scarf it down. Have they gotten too used to treat that they don't want their feed? Help!

2. EmtheFishLady

EmtheFishLady We're all mad here Premium Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Glen, MS
    I'd try worming them.

3. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    Worm them with valbazen. There are alot of threads on here about worming them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by