Chick 1 day old, not standing or walking.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Meikakiri, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Meikakiri

Meikakiri Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2013
    I hatched a single egg as the rest weren't fertile leaving me with a lone chick, it's been a full day now since he hatched but he still can't stand or walk, when he tried his legs end up over his head and move in a swimming motion, he also struggles to keep his head up, I worry cause I don't know how i'll teach it to drink if it can't stand or walk.

2. country chick1

country chick1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2013
    it might just need to get its bearings, they tend to be a bit wobbly when first hatched..i had one like that, was worried it wouldn't make it, but now it is 4 weeks old today ..it won't need any food/water for a day or two, as it had gotten nourishment from the yolk to last a few days after hatching......just dip its beak in the water and it will soon learn to drink, with the food, scatter it about on the floor of the brooder box and it soon get the idea to eat

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. Meikakiri

Nov 23, 2013
    Thank you for the information :)

4. country chick1

Oct 11, 2013
    good luck with it

5. Shabana

Shabana Chillin' With My Peeps

Hope your chick goes on ok.
    I had one earlier this year that took 48 hours to get going. She's going great now - just started to cluck rather than tweet !
    Tlc is often the best medicine - best wishes.

6. country chick1

Oct 11, 2013
    how is your little chick going???

7. Meikakiri

Nov 23, 2013
    She's doing okay but she won't eat chick crumbs, I've been feeding her a corn and persimmon mush, and I still haven't seen her drinking for herself yet. But she's energetic sleeping well, and sociable.

8. Shabana

Shabana Chillin' With My Peeps

Good news,
    Best wishes to you both x

9. country chick1

Oct 11, 2013
    put some of the chick crumble in the mush your making up for her....keep dipping her beak in the water, she will soon get the hang of it...sounds like she is on the up and up

10. Meikakiri

Nov 23, 2013
    Update: We changed her drinker and now she is drinking, she is looking like she's going to be a very good looking bird. I on the other hand won't be as she hasn't let me sleep well, in a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by