Chick 2 days old and can't walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CocoPopz, Jan 14, 2015.

1. CocoPopz

CocoPopz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Sheffield UK
    I don't know what is wrong with my silkie chick, one of her feet do look a little curled, mainly 2 toes! But she can't walk, she throws herself everywhere, and when I stand her up she leans to the left, it's as I one of her legs doesn't want to work with the other. It's really stressing me out. People have told me to leave her for 3 days but she can't eat or drink alone and is reluctant to try when I encourage her! All she wants to do is sleep. When I pick her up to encourage her to walk she just flips over and kicks her legs! All I have is tape, cardboard, toilet tubes, plasters and your typical house hold things, I don't have any of that elastic sticky bandage stuff! I tried using a badnt to band her legs together, no better, she seemed better without it. I've tried banding her legs together with plasters, I just can't get that to work what so ever. I've also used sticky tape and cardboard to make her a shoe but it's as if it make her foot look twisted, so I stopped that, I then tried using a player instead of tape, nope it didn't stay on long!
    I also tried her in a padded tube, she was comfortable but then someone told me to stop using that. When I get her to balance for a split second, it's in her hocks, not her actually feet! Help
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This last picture is her balancing alone
    [​IMG]

2. Apocha14

Apocha14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2015
    Massachusetts
    Looks like she may have splayed legs but it's really hard to tell in the picture. Splayed legs can be fixed but the longer you wait if that is the case, then the longer it takes to fix it. Also did you have any problems with the humidity? Too high or too low can cause deformities, I have a hen that has a curled toe on each foot and when she was incubated, the humidity was too high.

3. Apocha14

Jan 10, 2015
    Massachusetts
    Sorry somehow I missed that you tried that! I would cut two pieces of the cardboard and try again? I would worry less about the toes but that's just me. My hen functions great with her nasty toes haha

4. CocoPopz

Jul 10, 2013
    Sheffield UK
    Okay thank you, yeah I'm leaving the toes now and worrying about her leg, she was under a broody hen for nearly the 3 weeks, but during this the other hens got in her nest and crushed the eggs and kicked some out (we've had snow over here) so the eggs had been stone cold on more than one occasion, I was shocked I even had one hatch, on the 21st day I put this egg in the incubator, within 3 days she hatched, well again had to be an assisted hatch

1 person likes this.
  5. Apocha14

Jan 10, 2015
    Massachusetts
    Wow id be surprised it hatched too! Best of luck!! I hope you can help the little thing :)

6. CocoPopz

Jul 10, 2013
    Sheffield UK
    Do you know any way I could possible get her to start using her left foot rather her left hock, and to pull the leg under her more?

7. Apocha14

Jan 10, 2015
    Massachusetts
    I'm not sure I would just spend as much time babysitting her as possible. Keep repositioning her and Shen I'll hopefully get it. Between that and the cast she should be fine I would think

8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  9. CocoPopz

Jul 10, 2013
    Sheffield UK
    Good news! I removed the roll and just taped her legs together a little tighter to bring them closer, last couple of days i do an exceed use with her, it only probably for 5 minutes 3/4 times a day, slowly moving her body so she moves her legs and feet, I've now managed to get her to balance alone, I give her bit water through a straw and she stretches up to get droplets (all alone) although sometimes she falls over, she try's to run before she can walk, typical! I've now noticed her stretching high on her feet to get closer to the heat lamp, only for a few seconds, but she's using those muscles, her toes have also straightened out, I think it's from when she's been in the roll and her feet have been flat over 12hours, unsure! But yeah my baby is getting better, but she's not eating a great deal, I can get her to peck at a few crumbs, but she doesn't get much, I can say she's getting plenty of vitamin water, she's going on 4 days now?
    Thanks

10. Apocha14

Jan 10, 2015
    Massachusetts
    Yay I'm so happy to hear that! Good luck!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by