Chick 6 weeks old with both eyes closed.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sharonwolff, Jul 2, 2011.

1. sharonwolff

sharonwolff New Egg

Jul 2, 2011
    Hi, I'm new to the chick raising thing and I have a question which hopefully isn't a problem.

We have a chick that is about 6 weeks old and over about the last day, she's had both eyes closed all the time. Is this a problem and if so, what should we do?

Thanks,

Sharon.

2. Grand-hen-ma

Grand-hen-ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    Is there any discharge coming from the eyes? Maybe a cotton ball soaked in warm water will help her. One of my hens had something in her eye and kept it closed. I used a cotton ball and gently blotted as I examined. I ended up finding a sliver of plastic in her eye. After I got it out, using a q tip, she was fine. Her eye was red for a couple days.

Good luck

3. Grand-hen-ma

Grand-hen-ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Hudson Florida
    Oh and WELCOME TO BYC! It's great in here!

4. sharonwolff

sharonwolff New Egg

Jul 2, 2011
    No obvious discharge, just both eyes closed. She does seem a big quieter but so would I if I had both my eyes closed. Thanks for the quick response.

5. Hennypen

Hennypen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    In my experience with closed eyes,, the bird is sick. Cocci comes to mind and if that is it, you'll need to get it on medication immediately. Medicated chick food or ambrol in the water. You must act fast if it's cocci.

6. sharonwolff

sharonwolff New Egg

Jul 2, 2011
    Thanks for that. I gave her ambrol'd water in a syringe. Not sure how much water she should get. How long does ambrol take to work?

Thanks,
    Sharon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by