Chick about 4 weeks Sick? Or just Odd?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ECreech81, Aug 6, 2010.

1. ECreech81

ECreech81 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Kentucky
    1) What type of bird , age and weight. Bantam Chick about 4 weeks
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. Randomly laying on its side.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Just Today
    4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.NONE
    5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. was it To Early for medicated feed?!
    6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Eating fine
    7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.Normal

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Medicated feed contains a cocidosistant that prevents cocci from reproducing in the chick's gut. Cocci is a protozoa which they get exposed to in the soil, so early exposure will allow the chicks to get immune to it. That is all the medicated feed does.

As for random laying down, does it also put it's leg out back or stretch out it's wings? Are you seeing the chick dust bathe? Or perhaps lay down to enjoy the heat of a heat lamp/sun? Sometimes when they are relaxing, which is normal for chicks to do, they can look pretty dead. As long as it eats, clear eyes, poops, and runs around when not laying down, it's normal.

3. ECreech81

ECreech81 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2010
    Kentucky
    Yeah It sticks Its leg out like a stretch. And If i walk up to it she Jumps up and Acts fine. I actually have to peek around the corner to "watch" her doing it.

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I bet they are all doing it. They stretch out to relax. Totally normal. They do it when they are comfortable. Eventually they will do it in your presence, and birds who are really friendly will stretch out in your lap or in your hand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by