Chick acting a little lethargic (lazy)?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by metalman488, Mar 5, 2014.

1. metalman488

metalman488 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2014
    Texas
    I noticed that my week old whandotte rooster is looking a little more tired than the rest. He walks around pretty normally he just acts a little lazier than the others and it looks like he is holding his wings a little lower than the others are too. He peeps just like the others and I know he eats but I'm not sure how much he drinks because I don't sit there watching them that long. There are 8 hens, all the same age, in the brooder with him. This morning I saw that he had tiny bits of dried poop around his vent, but it didnt look like it was blocking it. I cleaned that off though. What should I do to help him? Could he just be tired?

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    You might try getting some electrolytes and probiotics into him, perhaps some vitamins might perk him up. Best to be pro-active and do what you can before it is truly an issue. it could be nothing, or you might be catching something early.

3. metalman488

metalman488 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2014
    Texas
    I heard that putting 1/2 a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar per quart of water helps with their digestive system and that bananas can help with electrolytes. Has anybody heard of this? Does it sound right?

4. brood mother

brood mother Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2014
    Brandon, Ms
    I was told by the man I bought my 4 isa brown hens from that apple cider vinegar in water was good for them. I didn't know I could give it to my chicks. I haven't given my chicks anything but starter/grower and water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by