Chick acting off.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TripMomma, Feb 10, 2015.

1. TripMomma

TripMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2015
    Oregon
    For those that remember my problem breather, Belle the EE, she is doing great...seems to be totally over whatever was going on.

Now I have another one acting off for the last day - day and a half. Anna, my Barnevelder, is standing around a lot, spending time apart from the group and seems uninterested in their usual activities...she is also standing a bit fluffed up a lot to sleep, and seems to sleep more than the others. No breathing issues, no discharge or any other symptoms...just not acting normal.

They are 2 weeks old, on medicated starter, they have been on electrolytes, probiotics, garlic and ACV in their water since I got them, but I discontinued that stuff last night. They are in a 65 degree room with a red 250 bulb...it is 2 feet away and aimed at one small section on the brooder. They do not act too cold or too hot, they usually sleep near the light in a group but not all huddled.

I am not freaking out too bad, I do think she is still eating and drinking...but if this is something catching it early is always best. Any thoughts, would you just watch and see if she perks back up in a day or so ...or would you take any kind of action?

2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I don't think there is anything you can do other then what you are doing already.

3. TripMomma

TripMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2015
    Oregon
    Darn it...I figured that would be the answer. I hate not being able to fix things LOL.

I just ground up some of their starter and mixed in a little grit and tossed in on the floor of the brooder and now all of them are busy, and Anna joined in a bit too...though she was the first to give up and go stand off by herself :(. They seem to want something to forage for, and scratch...boy do they want to scratch and find stuff. Are there any "treats" I can give them? I know the starter is best, but they seem so bored.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
  4. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    Mine LOVE scrambled egg!

5. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I know what you mean. I agree with red horse ranch about scrambled eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by