Chick acting weird????!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by VeroChickens, Oct 18, 2014.

1. VeroChickens

VeroChickens New Egg

Oct 18, 2014
    i just got 7 chicks yesterday and one of the is laying on the floor with its eyes closed opening and closing it mouth... is it too hot? they all seem to stay near the heat lamp so i thought it would be okay...help! these are my first chicks!!!! save Benji!!

2. VeroChickens

VeroChickens New Egg

Oct 18, 2014
    [​IMG]hes been doing it for at least 12 hours ...

3. barkinghills

barkinghills Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2011
    It could be too hot - do you have a floor thermometer to check the temp in their area? They should always have a "cool zone" where they can easily get out from under the heat lamp if they want to cool off.

4. VeroChickens

VeroChickens New Egg

Oct 18, 2014
    i read somewhere that the lightbulb should be around 100 watts, and mine is only 53. but the bin/tub/brooder that i have them in is only 6 inches tall, so the heat lamp is fairly close.... also all the other chicks seem to be fine and they huddle under the heat lamp in a ball so i was going to go buy a hotter light bulb today.... im not sure...

5. Zealo

Zealo Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2014
    I'd check your temp in your brooder.
    Starting Temps should be at approximately 95' F (35' C) and should be reduced approximately 5' F (3' C) each week. Sometimes intruding chicks to a new environment can be scary for them, so they bundle together. For watts, I use a red heat lamp that is 250 watts, but always make sure that you have a thermometer to constantly check the temp and a cool spot so they can get away from the heat. Also, chicks are attracted to light, so that might be another reason why their huddled under it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by