chick activities

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by patricknjaimieschicks, Apr 18, 2011.

1. patricknjaimieschicks

patricknjaimieschicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    Avon,Ohio
    What can chicks do to occupy there time in the brooder so they are not picking on one another?

2. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    I always put in construction sand and then stand back and watch chicks gone wild! [​IMG] Make sure they have plenty of room because they will be bathing in it and flipping it all over the place. [​IMG]

3. suzyQlou

suzyQlou Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Dillsburg, PA
    My Coop
    Mine spend a lot of time pecking in the little squares of sod that I added a few weeks ago. I change it out every few days. It adds new seeds and bugs for them to find. Now that it's warming up, I take them outside in nice afternoon weather, too.

4. KFaye

KFaye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2011
    I read somewhere to put in bird toys from the pet store. So, I put in a few, they are so funny. They love to ring the bell. Anything that makes noise is a happy toy.

5. patricknjaimieschicks

patricknjaimieschicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2011
    Avon,Ohio
    Well...our chicks got there brooder more than doubled in size tonight! I think they liked that very much. They sort of seemed puzzled at first, then I added more pine shavings and a box of sand. They seem very pleased. Also chopped up a little bit of papaya and boy did they LOVE that!

6. dweej

dweej Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Southwest MI
    Yes! We doubled our brooder size when they started to seem a little bored and added more "toys"...just scraps of wood that we made into roosts and ramps and various chicken-y type things. Every time I change out their water, I move the toys around so it feels "new". So far, no pecking. Hope it lasts! [​IMG]

7. Aronia

Aronia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2014
    St. Catharines, ON
    Are paper towel tubes fine?

8. Aronia

Aronia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2014
    St. Catharines, ON
    My chicks are 2 days old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by