Chick acts like a flamingo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by iread, Feb 22, 2009.

1. iread

iread Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    South Carolina
    My 2 week old chick was peeping up a storm in the brooder with her 3 like-aged companions. Since she is a bit smaller, I thought she was chilled and I moved her to my brooder with the week-olds. She has quietened down but now, as she walks, she will pick up her right leg after each step and tuck it under her. She stands like a flamingo for a sec, then stretches out her wing, and continues on. Very odd behavior (I think). Any ideas? She doesn't appear injured. She eats and drinks normally. [​IMG]

2. Skip

Skip Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe she's showing off. [​IMG]

3. iread

Jan 21, 2009
    South Carolina
    You think? Do they do wierd things like that to show off?

4. Skip

Skip Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm just kidding! [​IMG]

Maybe she's cold, maybe she's just trying to think of something else to do, I have no clue!

It doesn't sound that serious to me. Keep an eye on her, if anything else happens, let us know.

5. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Some breeds, particularly the long-legged breeds, walk odd. If I had a video of my Moderns I'd show you what I mean. Some of my birds skip and double-step.

6. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    One of my chicks eventually started doing that because her feet were so big. I think it was her way of trying not to step on her own feet. She was always tripping over herself.

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Could the leg be hurt?

8. iread

Jan 21, 2009
    South Carolina
    I think her leg is ok. I took her away from the chicks and watched for a few minutes and she still does it. I know that this will sound weird but it almost looks like she is scratching her butt with her knee.....I checked and her hiney is clean--no pasty butt. I still don't have a clue why she is doing this! She also seems to get pushed around by the other smaller chicks. Maybe she has some issues that i don't know about!

9. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens like to do that too. I think it must be a normal thing for them to stand on one leg... maybe to rest the one they tuck to their body. Then the stretchy thing with the wing and throwing the leg back. Chickie, my roo, did it more when he was younger but still sometimes does it. I saw my hen do it the other day too.

10. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    She's just training for Riverdance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by