Chick Adoption

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tiffanyh, Sep 3, 2007.

1. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Just wanted to share my experience with you all.

I have a NN hen that hurt her leg not to long ago. She has been isolated in a large dog crate at night and free ranging right outside her crate during the day. She is "parked" right next to the main coop--- but honestly, they REALLY dont like her. They beat the C*&P out of her whenever they get the chance, so she has been super happy where she is getting special treatment. She is a very docile, nice hen.

I was also hatching NN eggs, only three had made it to day 21, two hatched and one was very weak from the day it hatched. It had trouble absorbing the yolk and never got strong- I lost it about a week ago. So I found myself with a lonely NN chick and a semi lonely NN hen. Since she was so docile, I decided to try putting the chick with the hen. She was never brody but I figured I would give it a supervised go ahead.

Well, one week later, they couldnt be happier. She lets the chick crawl all over and under her. It sleeps under her at night. She doesnt do the specialized chirps I have heard other mommas do to talk with their babies, but she takes very good care of it, as if it is her own--even though she was never brody or sitting.

A happy adoption.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2007
  2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Awwww...that's a great ending.[​IMG]

3. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Awww that is so sweet... glad to hear they found eachother and are happy....[​IMG]

4. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    I thought it was pretty neat, considering she was never brody or sitting or anything. My other mommas would peck at new or different babies. So I was very pleased with my ugly ...I mean beautiful [​IMG] hen.....

5. JackieK318

JackieK318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    You should document the experience. I am documenting all of my chicken experiences - perhaps to help later for reference. As with raising kids, we all forget what we did at a particular time. What a neat story!

6. mom23chicklets

mom23chicklets Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2007
    CT
    Thanks for sharing that. It really made my day! Glad they have each other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by