Chick Advice Needed (He is Safe!!!)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 5Chickens, Jul 8, 2011.

1. 5Chickens

5Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2007
    A chick was pipped this morning and it was the last one to hatch. I checked on the rest of the chicks this evening and it seems that the siblings got too curious and started to peck away and this chick. He isnt hatching out correctly. He is almost out except some shell on his belly/bottom. The hen has left it to the side and its siblings were still pecking at it. I have brought it inside now and it is on a heating pad. What should I do? He is breathing and peeping still.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  3. 5Chickens

Dec 13, 2007
    Thank you, I am just really worried as I dont think he was quite ready to come out yet.

4. 5Chickens

Dec 13, 2007
    Anyone else have any solutions?? I am really desperate!!

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:If the membrane is still over the chick I do know you need to keep it moist so it won't get so hard the chick can't break through. place a moist [warm water ] over the egg and then spray the paper towel freguently to keep moist. making sure chick is warm. If you want find a card board box to put it in and a lamp that can shine into the box to keep it warm. it doesn't have to be a heat lamp even a 60watt bulb will work. you just want to keep it warm and out of drafts. it won't have to eat or drink for 24 hrs. might even be able to slip it under mom after it hatches and is doing good. please keep us updated.

6. 5Chickens

Dec 13, 2007
    Quote:If the membrane is still over the chick I do know you need to keep it moist so it won't get so hard the chick can't break through. place a moist [warm water ] over the egg and then spray the papaer towel freguently to keep moist. making sure chick is warm. If you want find a card board box to put it in and a lamp that can shine into the box to keep it warm. it doesn't have to be a heat lamp even a 60watt buld will work. you just want to keep it warm and out of drafts. it won't have to eat or drink for 24 hrs. might even be able to slip it under mom after it hatch and is doing good. please keep us updated.

The only thing connected to it is a bit of shell on its bottom where it looks like it is still absorbing the yolk. I have a feeling the siblings interrupted that process. I have him in a box with a cloth towel with a heating pad under the towel. I also have a small sheet of warm/moist toilet paper near the end of his bottom. I dont have a heat lamp unfortunately. Just regular house lamps. I do have another hen with just one chick (the chick hatched out yesterday). Could I possibly slip it under her, or is that a no-no? His original mom has 7 other chicks with her and they are all dry and fluffy.
    As of right now he lays still, wiggles and peeps for a bit, lays still, wiggles,etc.
    Thank you!

7. 5Chickens

Dec 13, 2007
    UPDATE:
    The little guy wiggled out of the rest of the shell. I looked closer and it looks like everything is going fine. There is one very tiny stringy/membrane type thing that is connect to the shell and its bottom.

8. ReikiStar

ReikiStar Chillin' With My Peeps

Great news!

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:I'd leave it alone for now and let things continue as they are sounds like it's going to be fine, as for slipping chick under another mom, I'd do it after dark especially after it's all dry and you know everything is fine. alot of broodys will accept chicks, just be ready to intervene if she gets upset. Good luck. It would deff. be better off with mama hen and siblings whether original or another mama and chick.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by