Chick advice

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by KowTippin, Oct 4, 2013.

1. KowTippin

KowTippin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2013
    I purchased 5 chicks and 4 of them died within 48 hours. The hatchery has given me credit for the ones that died but now I need to get some more chicks so my lone survivor isn't by herself. How far apart between hatches can I have the chicks and still put them together? I have 11 other chickens but they are 16 weeks old that I got all at the same time so I've never come across this. Thanks for any input!

2. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    They grow a lot in a week. Mine have nearly doubled in size. You could most likely put them together but I would keep the one near the others and put it in with the smaller ones when they get a week old so that the older chick is not walking on top of newly hatched chicks.

I am sorry about your losses. It is heartbreaking.

Caroline

3. Afterburner

Afterburner Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    I have been told, when concerning chicks, the mixed chicks shouldn't have an age difference greater that 10 days from the youngest to the oldest. Thus the youngest chick can be a newborn while your oldest will be 11 days old. The reason you don't want too large a difference is that chicks huddle together under the heat source and the larger birds can injure the younger ones. If one of your local feed stores doesn't have any chicks, I would suggest looking at Craig's list. Often farmers will sell surplus straight run chicks there.

Finally, since you have older, adult birds that are 16 weeks of age, I suggest avoid integrating your new chicks with the older birds until they are at least three to four months of age.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've mixed chicks up to 4 weeks apart in age in the brooder and done just fine. You just need to be sure there's lots of space.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by