Chick afraid of the dark.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by emvickrey, Dec 14, 2009.

1. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I have a chick that raises caine when I turn off the heal light. It keeps getting up to 102 degrees so I turn it off. It makes so much noise I end up turning it back on. It really don't need a heat light. I plan to switch the bulb to a smaller watt when it cools off. They normally just go to sleep but not this one. I guess it's afraid of Bugger Bears!

2. vicky

vicky Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Have you tried using a red heat lamp?

They're not as bright as the white normal bulbs and so it might get your little chikky used to darkness a bit more.... or maybe try gradually moving the bulb away instead of just turning it straight off.

Do any of the other chicks 'cry' when you turn the light off?

3. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    The heat bulb is too hot. There are only 2 chicks left and they are inside the house in an aquarium. Thats what I use for a brooder when there aren't many chicks. One just died about an hour and a half ago. And yes, both didn't like it dark. I replaced the 100 watt for a 60 watt and they're happy now to have light. It's not like it's dark in here anyay but they wanted their light. I would think that 102 degrees in there would be too hot.

I have been having to tend to these 3 around the clock due to issues. All 3 had boots on and 2 wouldn't eat. One of those was what died tonight.

Anyway, I thought it was strange that they would make such a fuss over the light being off.

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    You can do as I did. Walmart sells Red Flood lights 85 watts. It is what I use for them. Low wattage and it is red and is the right temp. I had the same problem when I moved older chicks out to attach garage. I just turn on a very small led light that came with a lantern like light. it worked great they stopped screaming.

5. dacdeihl

dacdeihl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    NorthEast, In
    Quote:I know chirstmas bulbs don't throw off much heat, but give enough light to make them happy. We use them for night lights because they last longer than traditional bulbs. Try that.

6. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I know chirstmas bulbs don't throw off much heat, but give enough light to make them happy. We use them for night lights because they last longer than traditional bulbs. Try that.

Mine arent christmas lights. They keep temp in brooders at around 95 degrees. I use it for 3 day olds.

7. dacdeihl

dacdeihl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    NorthEast, In

Mine arent christmas lights. They keep temp in brooders at around 95 degrees. I use it for 3 day olds.

Sorry, I used the Xmas lights for older chicks that are getting ready to enter the run. Kind of gets them used to being in the dark.

8. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Whats going on is, you know the heat bulb is too hot, i bet you lost one becouse one it gets too hot and then you turn it off so the temp drops to fast and to much for them.
    That can kill them.

You have them in a fish tank, ok do you have it covered? if you do take the cover half way off.
    get a red bulb and that will do the trick, but you need to do this today this morning or you wll loose the other 2.

Good luck, and i am sorry you lost 1.

9. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I do the same thing in a rubbermaid tote and every one is snuggy and warm as soon as the light goes off for cleaning they let me know VERY loudly.

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    They will raise a fuss the first few times the light is turned off. They get over it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by