chick age question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by naturababe, May 12, 2010.

1. naturababe

naturababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    should my a bit over one week old chicks be getting tails feathers? i saw a picture of a 3 week old buff orpington and it looked less featherd then my supposedly one weekers?

also, do i need to trim their beaks already? there is translucent growth curving down over the bottom part of the beak. i read that i can file it with a nail file but i feel like if i do that i would have to hold the chicks head so tight i might pop it like a grape. a friend suggested some sort of calcium stone that you give to other pet birds (they peck at it and it wears the beak down) but i'm wary of the chicks getting too much calcium while pecking at the stone.

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    some breeds mature faster then others so it's normal. as far as trimming the beak I wouldn't do it. just my 2 cents [​IMG]

3. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    agreed, tail feathers are normal. I have never had to file a beak before

4. Fergie

Fergie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2007
    NW, Washington
    In some breeds the hens get tail feathers first.....

5. OmaBird

OmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    The only beak I had to trim was one with a scull deformity. She had a cross beak.

6. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    Why would you feel the need to trim the beak? some do it in problem birds.... personally I have never done it and feel if given enough room and feed there should not normaly be any need. As for the feathers almost all are different. I have had some hens get feathers ina week while some of the hens from the same hatch took 3-4 weeks. Roo's took a lil while longer.

Good Luck and God Bless!

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  7. naturababe

naturababe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    I read that you might need to trim the beaks and the picture in the book (storey's guide) kind of looks like the way the chicks beaks are - the top overhanging the bottom.

8. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:Sorry, but I think that's the way chickens' beaks are normally. I've never heard of anyone trimming chicks' beaks, either.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by