Chick already in air pocket and pecking on day 18?!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sabrinaTmartens, Sep 7, 2014.

1. sabrinaTmartens

sabrinaTmartens Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2014
    Hi guys,

I have 10 silkie eggs in my incubator.
    I put them in there on the night of august the 21st.
    So they have been in there for almost 18 days now.

Tonight i was doing one last candling check up, before raising the humidity and putting the incubator on lockdown.

I noticed some of the eggs looked like they might be in different stages then others, some were almost completely dark already and other were still 1/3 clear, but all moving allot, so that's good.

Halfway the candling i noticed that in one of the eggs, the chick was already in the air pocket and pecking.

I also noticed 2 dark bumps in that air pocket. ( maybe it was just that the chick was in a weird position, but i looked slightely off)

Should i worry the egg is already started to hatch on day 18??

2. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    There's no reason to worry - it's not going to change anything, and there's really nothing you can do about it. [​IMG] It seems that there are always a couple of "early birds" in every hatch.

3. HugHess

HugHess Chickrack Addict

Jul 14, 2014
    Go BROWNS
    X2 My first two were peepin and rockin' late on day 18 and zipped out by day 19! So I agree with bobbi-j.

4. sabrinaTmartens

sabrinaTmartens Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2014
    Then there don't be a reason to worry he's a few days ahead of the other eggs.

I did noticed something else which i have never seen before during hatching when i candled yesterday.

I saw the chicks head and beak on one side in the air pocket, but on the other side i noticed another dark bump, which looked to be moving seperately.

At one point the bump with the beak moved very slow, but the other bump moved very active.

I am almost afraid they might be twins, even though the changes are very odd.

Is there a way to be sure? Maybe weight the egg?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by