chick always has mouth open and panting - is it sick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by YolandaT, Jun 18, 2010.

1. YolandaT

YolandaT Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Hi I am new to this and have a question if my chicken is sick! She is a 6 week old, supposed to be a silver laced wyandotte but now she is looking more like some sort of black and gray speckled bird (got her from a lady at a farm so can't be sure exactly)

For about a week now, she ALWAYS has her mouth open and her tongue is sort of wagging around. It is hot during the day but not too bad yet, and once it cools off she's still doing it. My other 2 chickens sort of pant when it is hottest but she does it always. I just went out there and she's sitting there with her mouth all open and just looked at me. She does close it on occasion, its not stuck open or anything, but she seems to be having trouble breathing.

She is now visibly panting, her body moving a lot when she breathes.

She is eating and drinking and her face looks normal, at least normal to me but what do I know.

I thought she was just always hot but today I mentioned it to the feed store owner when I went to get more food, and he said it might be gapeworm. I researched that and she's not shaking her head and that's a common sign of gapeworm.

Does anyone know what else could be causing my chicken to keep her mouth open all the time? Or does this sound like "the gapes"? Please help! I did post this on the disease message board but haven't gotten a response, and if I need to get her meds or something I need to know cause my feed store closes by noon tomorrow and isn't open on Sundays.

Thank you!

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Sounds to me like she is just hot.

Are her nostrils clear?

3. YolandaT

May 10, 2010
    Austin, TX
    It's not hot at all right now, actually breezy and comfortable. I'll go check her nostrils now....

4. YolandaT

May 10, 2010
    Austin, TX
    her nostrils are fine, eyes look clear, not runny. I picked her up and of course she wouldn't open her mouth for me so I could look inside! LOL

well if she's this hot all the time now there's no way she's gonna make it through summer. [​IMG]

5. hudsonhousechicks

hudsonhousechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Austin
    I live in Austin too. I think it's terribly hot. I have a 7 week old Buff that has her beak open quite often and breaths through her mouth but I am chalking it up to the heat. I hear Dr. J is the local chick expert and she's mobile [​IMG]

6. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    I am in Texas also its been way hot here I am not in Austin but up in Alvarado .......the heat waves have been terrible, the index heat you should check that too that makes it feel double hot. Since they are covered in fluff or feathers it may feel even hotter to a chick.

7. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Put some ice in a bucket = put the lid on the bucket - you can get them free sometimes from a local bakery (frosting buckets) and have it in the coop or run. If she is hot - she may sit on it or near it to cool off. Try putting ice in the waterer too. A lot of ice.
    Caroline

8. YolandaT

May 10, 2010
    Austin, TX
    This morning she was not panting, so yep it must be the heat. Thank yall for talking me down... [​IMG]

Two bowls of ice water out there now, I'll try the ice bucket thing, I just used a huge can of green beans for a work potluck so I think I'll use that and just fill it with ice and put a lid on it.

Coooool!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by