Chick and blockage of some sort?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by zengrrl, Apr 17, 2011.

1. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    So my blue silkie is nearly a month old and has suffered from pasty butt the entire time. It seems that she has a build-up inside her rectum if that makes sense? Like you can almost see there's a blockage of some sort. Any suggestions? I can try to soak her bottom in warm water maybe? When I apply a warm cloth she seems to close her eyes with relief maybe but I haven't been able to do much else for her.
    [​IMG]

2. delynnel

delynnel Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2010
    That is exactly what you have to do. It's really gross, but you have to clear the blockage or they will die. So, what you do, is get a shallow dish of warm (not too hot) water, and set their little bum in it for a couple minutes, then with a warm cloth, gently work at the blockage until it loosens and works free. Work slowly or you will rip their skin. I alternate between soaking in the little dish and working with the cloth. Also, try to do it near the heat lamp so they don't get chilled. Good luck!

3. delynnel

Sep 27, 2010
    Sorry, I should clarify that it's actually sticking out of the rectum?

4. zengrrl

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    The rectum is def looking not normal. Its like pasty butt PLUS the rectum is kind of turning outwards? So once I wipe everything away the rectum seems to be pushing out and there's a mass of some sort pushing it out. Hope this makes sense but I'll try your suggestion now. Wish I could find my camera but probably couldn't get a decent pic.

5. delynnel

Sep 27, 2010
    yes, so then that's what you'd need to do, is soften it up and work it loose.

6. zengrrl

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    I felt like we made progress last night but this morning the pasty butt and smaller blockage is still an issue. I'll keep working at it, poor peep. She is around a month old so I'm surprised this pasty butt thing is still an issue. Thanks for the words!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by