Chick and duckling question (heat?)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by IcarusSomnio, Jul 19, 2010.

1. IcarusSomnio

IcarusSomnio Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2010
    Vernon County, MO
    Pretty much all my feathered chicks are outside in the chicken tractor currently. My larger (older) Welsummers are strolling around the yard, but I still have 5-ish week chicks in the tractor (the smaller breeds fit through the fence still). They have nearly complete shade, fresh water (changed every day), and the bottom of the tractor is open on three sides, with the coop above.

Should I give them frozen water bottles and jugs? It's been VERY hot (in the 90's, feels like 115!) out. Even if I get out to the tractor early, the upper coop also gets hot. Not as hot, but still hot. When I check them I don't usually see them panting but still.

Annnd...duck question! I have roughly 8 week old duckling hens, two older Pekins (more like 12 weeks old now), and two adult drakes (age unsure). They have a good sized pond liner, water changed every 3-4 days, it gets scummy amazingly fast (no filter/pump), plus all the shade they could want. Still, I see some of them panting when they swim or sleep on the pond. Anything I can do? Frozen water jugs in the shade and around the pond?

Am I overreacting and complicating things here, or do they really need it? I think I'll definitely put a frozen gallon jug in the tractor for the chicks, I haven't lost any, they do have plenty of fresh water, shade, and air circulation, but I worry about them.

What about the ducks? I can see that they pant when sitting in the sun, but do you think they need a jug in the shade?

2. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    For the chicks I would use Milk jugs and zip lock frozen bags. (make sure to double em up so they dont leak. As for the ducks, I change my ducks water at least once a day. I use 3 different size swimming pools If you don't feel like Changing it daily then at least flush it out Just like ground water temps can rise in small ponds, and pools You want them to be as cool as possible they cool of by water or so I have observed as I own ducks and geese.
    On really hot days I offer all my birds vitamins and electroytes thats chicken gatoraid. You can use things like frozen watermelon grinds, Frozen corncobs as treats and popcicles. (make sure to provide grit when feeding treats.) Hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by