Chick antibiotic dosage help

kmarvin

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 25, 2012
Northwest Alaska
I'm new to chicks and have a two week old chick who's breeder recommended an antibiotic after I showed him a video of the sick chick. The only antibiotic available in my town is for fish which the pet store said could be used for the bird. Anyone know how much to give a two week old chick? I can;t even begin to guess how much it weighs but it fills up my hand when I hold it. It's an olive egger. The anti biotic is either penicillin or amoxacillin. This probably isn't enough information but it's all I've got!
Thanks.

Can we see the video?
Does the breeder have a specific "diagnosis" for the illness that your 2wk old chick has?
If the breeder recommended an antibiotic, then they should be able to tell you the specific dosage.
Keep in mind if the chick has an illness at that young of age that needs to be treated with antibiotics, then most likely all the chicks have the disease/illness as well. A lot of illnesses will make your flock carriers for life so that is something to consider.

Here are common medications that can be used in chickens:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...can-be-used-in-poultry-no-prescription-needed

I'm new to chicks and have a two week old chick who's breeder recommended an antibiotic after I showed him a video of the sick chick. The only antibiotic available in my town is for fish which the pet store said could be used for the bird. Anyone know how much to give a two week old chick? I can;t even begin to guess how much it weighs but it fills up my hand when I hold it. It's an olive egger. The anti biotic is either penicillin or amoxacillin. This probably isn't enough information but it's all I've got!
Thanks.
I realize this is an old post, but did you get an answer to this? I have the same fish amoxicillin and I have 1 week olds with upper respiratory and am trying to figure out if I'm able to give amoxi this young and if so, what's the dose? Someone posted a link above but that's the dose for adult chickens. Need info for tiny chicks!

I dont recommend giving young chicks antibiotics. Their system isnt fully developed to handle medications and would do more harm than good.
It would be best to look for something in the environment causing the symptoms you're seeing, such as; ammonia fumes from soiled bedding, improper ventilation, inhalation of feed dust or feed granule, mold or mildew spores, pollen, dust from dust bathing, dander, pesticide use etc...
All of these can be corrected or eliminated.

I agree with Dawg53, since chicks usually don’t show signs of a contagious respiratory disease for a couple of weeks. Brooder pneumonia from wet bedding is more common in baby chicks. Did you hatch the eggs, get the chicks from a breeder, or hatchery?

Back
Top Bottom