Chick arrived with hobbles and broken toe. How can I help?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bantam Username, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Bantam Username

Bantam Username Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    I got a pair of chicks today which had been incubated for me by the breeder. She told me one of them had splay leg and she had hobbled it. When my partner gets home with these chicks, I notice that the hobbled one also has a broken toe that looks like its been broken for some time. It also doesn't look like the hobbles are working or maybe are too wide, as it seems to walk with its legs too far apart.
    I'll try and take some pics tomorrow but my camera battery has died. How best can I help it, it doesn't look very comfy, they are apparently about 5 days old. [​IMG]

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Make new band-aid hobbles to correct the splay leg.

Broken toes or chicks with weird feet tend to do just fine. Wierd toes are often a sign of incorrect incubation temperatures. As long as it can get to food, water, and warmth, it should thrive. Name it "Paddles" and give it a kiss.

1 person likes this.
  3. Bantam Username

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    How would I go about making a band aid hobble, and where on the legs should I place it? Also they are sebright bantam chicks, how long should the hobble be between the legs? It has a piece of twine tied around its legs at present, which keeps sliding up and down the legs as it walks.

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
  5. Bantam Username

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Yep, I just found that one, it looks like his hobble may be about right size for him, so I will leave it I think. Do you know how long he should be hobbled for? As he's had it on since day 1 I think. [​IMG]

6. Bantam Username

Aug 3, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Well I took his twine hobbles off earlier, he waddles like a duck on legs that look much too thin, and still doesn't seem to walk right 5 hours later.
    I also discovered when I examined him that nearly all of his toes were caked in muck, with balls of it formed around his claws so spent half hour soaking and cleaning that off. He seems surprised at the feeling of clean toes, but he has a few sores from where he has obviously been caked up so long, at just 5 days old now. Poor little mite. [​IMG]
    I hope his walking improves, he's had such a bad start. [​IMG]

7. chittyn

chittyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    my cockerel has a broken toe and hes doing just fine they will be ok try to cause as little pain as possible

8. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    I have a chicken with crooked toes and she is doing just fine. Her toes don't bother her a bit.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by