Chick ate dead wasp!??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by artsyrobin, Apr 8, 2009.

1. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    Hi, my little banty found a dead wasp- and had a grand time carrying it around, but then he swallowed it- is that on the edible list??

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    When they were about 2 weeks old, my roo ate a LIVE wasp. He spent the next couple hours shaking his head non-stop.
    It won't hurt them, unless the wasp died as a result of being sprayed with bug spray.

3. Ondra's Seramas

Ondra's Seramas Drowning in Seramas

Feb 19, 2009
    North Central WA
    My modern game bantam hen loves wasps. Dead or alive. She has never had a problem with the dead ones, but once, while swallowing a live was, she got stung in the throat. For more than a week after that, she kept getting food stuck where it had swelled up.

4. ScrmnWoody

ScrmnWoody Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    Whatcom County, WA
    I was recently wondering about this as well. My cat just pounced on a bumble bee and learned his lesson (I hope). So, the thought of the chickens doing it came to mind.

The way I try to look at it is, in the wild, these chickens probably get into a lot more trouble than they are in our pens or in our yards. And, I'm sure they eat bees all the time.

5. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    My neighbor is a bee keeper, plus I have an apple orchard. There are always bees flying around the coops and runs. The chickens get their fair share of them.

6. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I killed a big nest with spray (Raid Wasp Killer, love the stuff), this was done at night while the chickens were at roost. I saw several wasps fall to the ground and die. I figured there'd be a big mess in the morning to clean up. Went outside the next day and nothing on the ground, not even a piece of a wasp. The chickens had already cleaned them up. None of them died as a result.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by