Chick Attack!!! 1 injured 4 in shock 1 dead

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pinkpoppey, May 13, 2011.

1. pinkpoppey

pinkpoppey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2010
    My doxin got into the brooder of 6, 5-week old chicks. Luckily I was around to stop him before anything too bad happened. One's tail is bloody but the bleeding seems to have stopped or slowed. We had one escape and hide in our garage but she seems fine (ish). One took it particularly hard and went into shock. We gave her gatorade but she may have choked on it. She started jerking around before she died so... [​IMG] We took the injured one to an emergency vet, but he didn't know what to do. We called an exotic pet place and they were no help whatsoever. Some thing about having to see them to know if they had shock! [​IMG] Two seem to be in shock worse than another two but they're all just sitting, doing nothing at all, huddled together. I have'nt done muc with the injured chick, just wipe some of the blood off to get a better look. It doesn't look bad, just like a scratch and feathers broken/pulled out. I'm worried that once the others start "awakening" they'll start pecking at her. I plan to isenfect it with hydrogen peroxide then ut neosporin on it then bandage it to avoid pecking. Is that a good plan? WHAT DO I DO!?!?!?!? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] And when can I renovate the brooder to prevent further attacks without frightening the chickens more? I'd use a staple gun a drill and bang stuff so I think it'd be better to move them to a different brooder temorarily (I've got 1)
    PLEEEEAASE HELP!

2. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    So sorry to hear about your chicks. Yes I would for sure sturdy up your brooder.

As far as the ones in shock, keeping them warm and quiet and calm would be the best thing for them. I would not do too much to the wound unless it seems infected - many animals need constant attention to their wounds but most birds and reptiles seem to heal better if it's just left alone - their skin does not grow in like ours does so leaving some of the scabs in place seems to help. I'm not a vet, but that's just the experiences I've had.

I would put some blue kote on her to stop pecking, and watch them closely for the next couple of days. You may have to separate them for a bit, to make sure the bigger stronger chicks aren't pecking her to death. The blue kote would be better than a bandage, sometimes the chicks see a bandage and it makes them want to peck that chick even more. They get through the bandage in no time and just keep on going [​IMG]. If you must bandage, put a bandage on all of them - then they won't see her as being different. Sounds crazy, but in chicken lingo, it works.

Good luck!

3. pinkpoppey

pinkpoppey Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2010
    Thanks! I let them all mellow for an hour and a half then once they all started looking normal(er) I treated the injured one. She took to it fine, but she didn't like the hydrogen peroxide that much. I couldn't get a bandage on her so instead I used two band-aids. I don't think they can get through that before it actually falls off. Whats blue kote? Is that some magical spray that chickens don't like? Where could I get some? I'm a bit calmer now, they all seem better than before, though not completely ok. And as far as I saw, the others aren't taking the slightest notice at her new garb. She is picking at her own wound but not too badly and I think the band-aids will prevail! At least for tonight. Tomorrow I will find a different solution, possibly blue kote (whatever that is...).
    THX [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    It's a wound coting, you can get it at most feedstores. It makes the wound a purple/blue instead of the red, so the chicks are less likely to peck at it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by