Chick attacked by Chickens **pics**

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by starforever61, Jul 6, 2010.

1. starforever61

starforever61 Songster

Aug 1, 2009
    I put my two chicks in the chicken coop with my four adult Isa Browns, but they were separated by a cage the hens wouldn't hurt the chicks. When I wasn't there, the chicks got out of it and the Isas attacked them. One is just fine, but my Leghorn is hurt.

She is seven weeks old, a female, and these are her symptoms:

Bloody neck
    Occasionally labored breathing. Sometimes a pinging sound is heard when she breathes. (but not all the time, sometimes she breathes normally)
    Green, watery poop. Smells horrible.
    Screwed up eye.
    Not drinking unless forced to.

The hens pecked the neck and eye and now her eye is shaped funny and watering. Here is a picture.

[​IMG]

She is really quite beat up.

Here is her neck.

[​IMG]

What should I do for her?

2. Ann1986

Ann1986 Songster

May 9, 2010
    What you are observing is the "pecking order" which is established starting within the first week of hatch. The older stronger birds will establish dominance over the younger weaker chicks. One way to help reduce this is to use red or blue light as a heat source in the brooder box. I also hang an old CD on a wire to use as a distraction ploy, the aggressive birds will see reflection from the moving CD and peck at the disc instead of the other birds. When there is a great difference in age and size it is always best to separate the birds into groups of similar age and weight but that is not always practical in a small area.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_do_chicks_peck_each_other_and_how_do_we_stop_them

Also I would contact a vetrenarian.

http://www.sabong.net.ph/forum/showthread.php?t=23878

Asap -separate The Weak Ones,wounded Ones,go To Your Local Poultry Store And By Solution And Apply It On The Affected Area To Further Prevent Pecking,check Your Space,ventillation And Feeding Routine To Prevent Stress To Your Chicks.

Separate, and place them in a bigger brooder or space to avert more damage in them, one cause is over crowded and no proper ventillation, turn off lights from time to time

My chicks used to peck at each others butts till they saw blood and would not stop pecking and eating till the weak pecked chick was empty of its insides and most of the bloody flesh is gone. I freaked out when i first saw this. didn't know what to do it happened over and over so i said F it and let them loose, I lost
    about 10 chicks that way. Another thing they would do as early as 1 to 2 weeks old would be to bit eachothers toes till blood came out then they would not stop till the toe was gone and the blood stopped. To these when i noticed their bloody toes I got a small piece of tape and wrapped it around the injured toe(clean it 1st), then the chicks would stop pecking at it. This year I showed 2 birds that had there outside toe of their left leg missing. People would laugh at me and ask me if that is my new system of marking my birds, HAHA They won! they weren't laughing after they picked up their rat. All in all the best ting to do is let them loose and when they continue to fight separate them. ?U wanted fight birds, Right. Well u got em!!!HAHA

another good trick put blue kote or vapor rub wherever the chicks are pecking, they should stop they do not like the taste!! good luck KPMCRWN

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  3. karl E lutz

karl E lutz Songster

Jan 29, 2010
    She will make it or she wont. I have one hen that only has one wing and she is doing fine . The other wing was eaten by a coon. Litterally pulled through the wire. I lost 3 hens this way .

4. starforever61

starforever61 Songster

Aug 1, 2009
    Anything I can do to help her with common supplies that most people have? Any remedies?

5. starforever61

starforever61 Songster

Aug 1, 2009
    Vapor rub, ay? I'll try that. To clear things up, they are no longer in the brooder. They are in the coop. With the giant hens. Giant. GIANT. Hens. lol Should I keep them in the cage or let them out together? When I found the chicks one was in a corner and one was in a bucket and the hens weren't bothering them. Hmm...

6. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Songster

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I'm so sorry for your little girls getting attacked. I would try to clean the wounds with either a betadine cleaner or get some of that Blukote to spray on her wounds. This is a good aid in keeping from other pecking her (although I would keep her isolated so noone can cause anymore damage). The blukote is a anit-pick but also has some healing aids in there to promote healing. I would try to give her a little vitamins/electrolytes in her water.
    Try to give her some extra protein because this helps with healing wounds as well. Unfortunately I don't can't help you with the eye issue but maybe someone can help. The only thing that has happened to my little 2 month old rooster "Duke" is that when I put them into the big coop inside a large rabbit cage that noone could get in or out of. I let them stay in there for a whole week and then thought that it was time to let the babies out to mingle with the other chickens. Well lets just say that they were definitley trying to get the pecking order straight and they didn't harm him like they did your girl but they tore his eyelid. It wasn't bleeding and it was not jagged, it was a smooth straight cut so I kept my eye on it and it looks fine now.

How old are your babies? she looks kinda the same age as my 2 month olds and she is a SSH/Delaware but she is still small in size compared to Duke.

I would give ur girl some yougurt, scrambled egg with the vitamins mixed in, some fruits, and what ever else she will eat to keep her strength up.

Wish you lots of luck and my prayers that it will get better with the big hens. I am still having some issues but getting better, but not as fast as I would like it to happen.

7. starforever61

starforever61 Songster

Aug 1, 2009
    Thank you very much! They are both two months old, like you guessed. I put on some Bactine as I didn't have blukote. I'll give her some yogurt and later a bit of water melon. Thank you everyone for all your help. I keep updating this. [​IMG]

8. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    search asprin on here! I know you can give it to them for pain....like bayer or tylonal. I gave mine bayer when she got hurt real bad.

9. Friend of Feathers

Friend of Feathers In the Brooder

May 5, 2009
    East Central, MO
    Unfortunately, I have some experience with this very situation. My adult chickens pecked two of my one month old chick's heads down to the skull. The whole back of her head was completely gone!!!! They succeded in killing one of the two, but I saved the other. I seperated her from the flock, put neosporin on the wound every day, sometimes twice and put terramycin in her water. I also put blu-kote on the wound when it started to heal. She has fully recovered, even grew feathers back. I have to admit I'm pretty proud of saving that one. [​IMG]

10. starforever61

starforever61 Songster

Aug 1, 2009
    They're both doing much better! Especially my sweet Noanie [​IMG] Thank you for all your help [​IMG] I gave them yogurt and they all loved it! Even my bratty hens got some [​IMG]
    I am extremely happy! I know everything will turn out okay! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: