1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Chick attacked by dog

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by heatherindeskies, May 29, 2010.

1. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Songster

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    very upset...
    damn sister wasn't watching where her dog was on my property... it went into my barn and broke into the chick pen, killing 5 out of the 6.
    last one won't open it's eyes, is able to walk but seems 'top' heavy and seems to lean and fall forward. I make it drink, not sure how to get it to eat, although I'm sure it ate all morning before this attack. it wants to be held and peeps happy chirps yet. it has soft, runny elimination now. I don't think this is going to go well.
    If i had caught that dog i would have shut it in the barn, showed it those chicks, taken an stick and beat the hell out of it. She would not ever look at another chicken again!

2. silkieowner

silkieowner Songster

Apr 17, 2010
    so sorry to hear about your loss. What i can say to try might sound mean but apartly it works put dog in sack with dead chickens and beat the hell out of the sack with dog and dead chickens inside. I was told the dog would think its the chickens hurting him/her and will leave your chickens alone.

3. wohneli

wohneli Songster

Oct 6, 2008
    Gainesville
    So sorry for your loss. I think its sad but the dog is just following its instincts. My dogs have done it to my chickens. Unfortunately they need to be trained to resist their instincts before they get the taste of chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: