Chick attacked my its mother.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by GwenReaper, Jul 27, 2010.

1. GwenReaper

GwenReaper Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    I dont know what happened. My hen has about 7 chicks and has been a great mom. Last night there was a really bad, loud storm. I get in the coop this morning and see her chick laying next to her bloody. Could she have gotten freaked out by the storm? ....I Dont know what i can do aside from cleaning it. Its only 2 days old. Parts of its head I can see its skull. And I dont know if she pecked its eyes. Its still alive but in pain. I really dont know what to do. I have her in the house right now and I am going to put her in the incubator where its warm. I guess all I can do is wait... Its just been a sad night and morning. It started pouring really hard last night and within a couple minutes I went out into the pouring rain and made sure all the chickens were in the coop (some like to roost outside when its warm.). By the time I got out there, there was already at least 6 inches of water. I put everyone in the coop. But I lost 2 silkie chicks. They must have drowned. Its so disappointing. I just want this chick to be okay.

2. slackwater

slackwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    I don't know, but [​IMG]

3. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    So sorry you're having to deal with this aspect of raising animals. Sometimes we just have to do the humane thing because we care so much. If the little chick is suffering and likely to be permamently handicapped you must help it by doing what you know needs to be done. I'm so sorry......

4. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I have to agree with Phil. this happens sometimes and usually the chicks don't pull through if it's as bad as you are saying. To help it, you'll need to put a huge glob of neosporin on the wound and syringe feed it a wet mash with extra vitamins until it might recover. If you're not ready to invest hours and hours of time and put that chick through lots of pain only for a slim chance of recovery, then you need to either put it down or lay it on a towel outside somewhere and just walk away. Don't put it where the other chickens can get to it because they will peck at it.

another thing is you'll need to keep this one completely seperated from ALL other chickens.. even other peeps for weeks as they will instinctively peck at the wound. sorry [​IMG]

5. WisconsinChickenWhisperer

WisconsinChickenWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Webster, Wisconsin
    One of my friends who also has chickens had basically the same thing happen to one of her chicks. I had to go over to her house and find the poor little thing, as the hen abandoned it on the edge of the woods and my friend had to leave for work before she could find it. I found the chick, with the side of it's head all pecked and bloody. She was cold, and tired, and barely alive when I found her. I took her home and put her in a make-shift brooder to keep her safe till my friend got off of work. That was 2 weeks ago. The chick is doing excellent! Her wounds are healed, and the eye that we thought she would be blind in seems to be fine. Hopefully when her feathers come in, she won't have the bald spot. The only problem is, we tried to introduce her to other chicks, and she immediately goes on the defensive and attacks the others.

I know I keep referring to this little one as a "she". We have no idea what sex it is, but as I was watching it come around in the brooder, and finally stand up and start peeping loudly in response to my own chicks' peeping coming from their own brooder, the only thing that kept running through my mind was that song "I will survive" by Gloria Gaynor, so I named the chick "Gloria". (all of my own chicks have rocker chick names, so I guess that explains it).

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  6. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    It's amazing what chickens can survive through. It might be a treat it and wait and see.

7. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

I had a dove survive that type of injury- he's fine now, old enough to breed next season.

silverdine solution works great.

8. GwenReaper

GwenReaper Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    This morning when I put it in the incubator it was still and shacking. Now I checked on it and its hopping around and very vocal. I am worried about it eyes. It got pecked on both sides of its head and I am not sure if both of its eyes got hurt or if its just some swelling. I am going to give it some time. Hopefully it will be okay. Its very hard for me to give up on something... I will keep everyone posted. Once I clean her up some more I will post some pictures, right now its looks pretty bad.

9. alaskachick

alaskachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Good Luck with your chick. [​IMG]

10. Agnella

Agnella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    N. Georgia
    Good luck! I really hope she makes it. Please keep us posted!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by