chick attacked. need help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 8ROYALS, Aug 7, 2010.

1. 8ROYALS

8ROYALS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Petersburg, Texas
    I have my chicks inside with my dog and cat. They cannot get to them. My chicks are five days old. I had one jump up on top of the cardboard barrier and squeeze out of the cage. I found her this morning with my cat having her cornered. The chick has a small area that is raw without the skin near her tail. i used wound cleand and but on some antibiotic ointment on it. I have seperated her from the rest. The question is: Is there anything else i can do? Thanks

2. 8ROYALS

Jul 5, 2010
    Petersburg, Texas
    I have said chick on a heating pad....So anyone got any ideas. thanks

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I would just keep doing what your doing. If the chick is otherwise able to move around ok and you've cleaned the wound then just keep her in a warm, quiet place with food and water and let her rest. You might keep occasionally applying the antibiotic ointment as it heals, just not one with pain reliever in it. You should check her over carefully for bite or puncture wounds, they would need to be thoroughly cleaned and maybe the chick given some antibiotics.

4. 8ROYALS

Jul 5, 2010
    Petersburg, Texas
    cool thanks

5. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    I can't think of anything except keep the wound clean and like the previos poster said don't use anything with pain meds in it. Good Luck!!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  6. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    keep us posted. Sounds like you are doing everything right.

7. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Pretty much what the others said, but be carefull with the heating pad. Little chicks can overheat quickly on them so make sure there is some area in the box that is away from the pad. What I do is put a folded towel over the pad with some spots only have a single layer of towel and others having several so the critter can find the spot that works best for it. I also usually put ill/injured animals in the bathroom where they're safe from the cats/dogs and it's easy for me to control the temp. so I'm not completely releying on the heating pad. Most of the newer heating pads turn off automatically after 15-20 minutes so you have to keep an eye on that. Hope your little one pulls thru!

OH, you could give it a scrambled egg (or part of one) to help get its appetite going again and build up some strength and perhaps some poly-visol (no iron) or other vitimans for a few days.

8. 8ROYALS

Jul 5, 2010
    Petersburg, Texas
    thanks She has alreadly started eating, drinking and pooing. I gave her plenty of room to get on and off the pad. this chick was a lonely to begin with, so I think he really jumped/flew to teh top of the cardboard. Higher cardboard is being put up today. Thanks for everything guys. She is the only black one with white wing tips. Like everyone else they try to or do kill your favorites. more later...

9. 8ROYALS

Jul 5, 2010
    Petersburg, Texas
    My girl is still living. I have her by herself. She has healed up, but I am worried about there being no feathers at the bite mark. She is alot smaller than the other chicks. I think this is because he was in shock from the attack. When can I put her back with the rest of the flock?

10. 8ROYALS

Jul 5, 2010
    Petersburg, Texas
    For those following my girl. she is now 6 weeks old and doing fine. She is a little smaller than the others, but the shock of the attack did that I think. She holds her own with the others. She had almost got her bite mark covered with feathers. I used bedsore oniment left over from my grandmother when she was alive. I this this helped heal it and keep her from messing with it. thanks for the good wished and reading

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by