Chick attacked this morning

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KCK006, May 26, 2008.

1. KCK006

KCK006 New Egg

May 26, 2008
    PA
    We have four 6-wk-old baby hens in our back yard in a coop and one of them was attacked by what we think was a dog this morning. Her wing is just hanging there and we suspect it is broken. She's really weak and does have some deep bite wounds all over. Honestly, I'm not sure if she's going to make it. If she does and the wing is broken, is there any way we can make a home-made splint or anything? What would be the best thing to do for her?

2. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    I know it might be a little painful on the hen but try to make sure the wing isn't just out of socket. Feel around the joint and try to move the wing in a natural way. If the wing is in place, feel along the bone to locate the break. Hopefully someone else can tell you how to brace it from here.
    Just guessing, i'd wrap it like a broken leg. you may want to trim the feathers back before wrapping. Be sure to wrap it out strait so the bone doesn't heal crooked. Use medical tape, it won't damage the feathers when you remove it.
    Hope that helps.[​IMG]

3. KCK006

KCK006 New Egg

May 26, 2008
    PA
    Well, it looks like it is broken [​IMG] We're going to try to tape it up ourselves. If she makes it through the night, perhaps we'll take her to the vet tomorrow. We cleaned her up w/ peroxide because she was so bloody. We put Neosporin on as well. She's hurting bad. This is our first experience with chickens! I love them, but I feel bad when stuff like this happens. We live in town, so there are all kinds of critters around that would love to get into their pen!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by