Chick attacked, wound care advice needed

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChandraM, Aug 5, 2014.

1. ChandraM

ChandraM Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2014
    Boulder Creek, CA
    [​IMG]

My first chicken injury :(
    ~5 week old silkie was attacked by my 11 week old chickens.
    They got almost all of her feathers from her head, there are 3 places where her skin is peeled back about the size of a pencil eraser on her head. Some of her feathers are missing from one wing joint, but the head wounds are the ones that I am mainly concerned with.
    Happened this morning sometime. I was introducing my younger chicks to the older chicks, had my brooder elevated so the little girls could get in & out of the brooder into the main coop. Have had this setup since Sunday afternoon. The silkie in question somehow made it out in to the run and one of the big girls started attacking her and she couldn't find her way back in to the coop to get back into the brooder. My contractor was here and noticed that she was bleeding. His son was with him, so the son tried to keep the big girls from pecking any more. It took me about an hour to get home and I got her out of the run.

I have her out of the coop, isolated in a dog crate with pine shavings and some electrolyte/probiotic water and some food. I put some water on her beak a few times, and now she is drinking some on her own. I think it is painful for her to move her neck though. I also have a heat lamp on her.

The bleeding has stopped, but she is pretty messy and pretty beat up. I have added one pic, will try to add a better one soon. I have to go to a dr appt now, so will be offline for about 2 hours, so please don't take my not responding as not paying attention to the thread. She is as comfortable as I can make her for now.

First aid supplies I have: betadine, peroxide, vetericyn spray, neosporin without pain, guaze, vet wrap, my human first aid kit is VERY well stocked (scalpel, suture kit, etc).
    I have to treat her myself.

So, what is the best way to clean the wounds?

Then I plan on putting some of the vetericyn spray and neosporin on the wounds.

Is there something that I can feed her that will help her maintain strength? Chick crumble mixed with water, yogurt, scrambled egg, etc?

One of my friends who has livestock chickens (mine are more pets), said to put one of the other little girls in the crate with her to keep her company, but I'm not sure if that is a good idea or not. There is one polish 6 week old who protected the silkie when I put her in with the little girls, so that is the one I would choose if others thing that is a good idea. Or do it after a couple days when there isn't blood. Not sure what to do since I'm brand new to chickens.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  2. Jedwards

Jedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    The best way to clean the wounds would probably be hydrogen peroxide and the best treatment would probably be to use iodine but the betadine should probably be just fine. I'd clean it a couple times a day because if it gets infected she'll be in trouble. I put another chicken in with her because it might peck at her head because of the blood. I hope she makes it!

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I would probably wash it out well with saline or plain water, then betadine. Then a good coating of Neosporin. I wouldn't put any other birds in with her for at least a few days. Once it starts to dry up and heal you can apply some BluKote and then try putting another one her age in with her and just watch them.

I would keep the 5 week olds separate from the older birds until the young ones are a lot bigger. I don't integrate young birds until they are 10 to 12 weeks old. They just cannot defend themselves from the older birds.

4. ChandraM

ChandraM Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2014
    Boulder Creek, CA
    After today's incident the little girls are moving back into the storage area of the coop and staying in the brooder until they are bigger for sure. And my leghorn who was the instigator is moving to my friends flock.
    Right before I left for my appt the Silkie chick was drinking more and was keeping her eyes open more.
    Please keep the advice coming, I appreciate any advice. I am really hoping she makes it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by