1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick attacked

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by fabfarm, Feb 6, 2014.

1. fabfarm

fabfarm Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2013
    virginia
    I had my four month old silkies outside and my roo flew out and got in top of one of them and started violently ripping out her feathers! I brought her in and she has just been laying in her box. I don't know if this is shock or or if she is hurt. I don't really no what to do if she is hurt or in shock can someone help me?!

2. Sarevan

Sarevan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2013
    White Swan, WA
    Now that she is in the house check her over to make sure she wasn't spurred or pecked. I am unfamiliar with silkies but have read they have tender heads(?). I would check to make sure no injury on head and neck. Depending on how violent the feather tearing was it could have damaged skin. Check her throughly trying to keep her calm and warm. Sounds like she is in shock.

Keep warm, if wounded treat wounds gently cleaning then cover with neosporin ( without out any caine product in it). A bit try to give her some water with electrolyte to help with shock.

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Check her for wounds,clean if you find any. She is in shock,keep her warm,give her electrolytes for shock.

4. fabfarm

Oct 20, 2013
    virginia
    She doesn't seem to have any visible injuries but I an not sure about internal ones she has drank a lot of water I assume that's good and I managed to get food down her. I had no Idea he'd do this to a chick he is normally so nice I really wonder what triggered such behavior it's strange for him. Thanks so much for your response I put some electrolytes in her water hope she makes it.

5. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Could have been anything that triggered this,probably b/c she looks different and is not known to him. Watch him in the future. I actually keep my silkie hens/roosters separate from my other roosters/hens.

Keeping her warm is important for shock/injuries. Good sign that she is drinking/eating,but drinking is the most important.

Does she like to be held,if so hold her in your arms this will keep her warm and make her feel safe.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  6. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

What breed is your rooster?

7. fabfarm

Oct 20, 2013
    virginia
    Easter egger

8. enola

I wonder if he did not realize that your silkie is a chicken. He may have thought he was protecting his hens.

9. fabfarm

Oct 20, 2013
    virginia
    That was my first thought at why he did it but then he is territoral when it comes to new chicks. He has never tried to harm one though.

10. enola

ps. I don't think silkies look like chickens either......looking for nearest chair to hide under..........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by