1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chick barely alive

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by texasturtle, Mar 18, 2015.

1. texasturtle

texasturtle Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2015
    Texas
    My eggs were suppose to hatch Saturday and Monday. Out of 7 eggs i have already lost 6. 2 of the six had formed but died before hatching. I float tested the last egg and nothing. Candled egg and nothing. Carefully started opening egg from air sac only to see a shrinked wrapped chick barely breathing. I wet the membrane wrapped in warm wet towel and put back in incubator. The membrane still has alot of veins. What do I do now?

2. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    Nothing at this point to do but just watch it, If you have a humidifier I would get it set up and running, get the ambient humidity in the room where the incubator is up a bit and then make sure the humidity in the Incubator up to 60-65

3. texasturtle

Mar 9, 2015
    Texas
    Can't believe I am having so many problems. I keep temperature right except i found out temp was dropping at night. But humidity has stayed around 60-70

4. scflock

scflock Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    60-70 the whole time, or only after lockdown?

5. texasturtle

Mar 9, 2015
    Texas
    50-55 before lockdown

6. scflock

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    For me, in my area, that is still a little high. That coupled with dropping temps at night could be your problem. They aren't totally developed, and are probably drowning in the shells. I have had the same thing happen

7. texasturtle

Mar 9, 2015
    Texas
    That's what I thought until i opened air sac areas of eggs and the inner membrane is solid white and the chick looks vacuumed sealed

8. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    Well your humidity sounds fine now, so x out the humidifier, it ran alot higher than I like during the first 18 days but shouldn't have caused it to shrink wrap..

Did it pip the inner membrane?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  9. texasturtle

Mar 9, 2015
    Texas
    No it's just all curled up in a ball. I don't think it can move but there are too many veins to see if formed all the way

10. scflock

Jan 13, 2015
    Upstate South Carolina
    if the membrane is solid white, it is not shrink-wrapped. When the membrane start drying out, it starts turning a tan color. If you had to pip the egg for it, I don't think there is any way that it could have become shrink-wrapped. It just isn't ready to hatch

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by