CHICK BARELY MOVING AND IN PAIN - DON't KNOW WHY... PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by copperfoot, Jul 27, 2011.

1. copperfoot

copperfoot New Egg

Jul 27, 2011
    We have a seven-week old buff brahma that, over the past 36 hours has been lethargic and very sensitive to the touch. We noticed that she had a very awkward posture - slumped forward with her back up - very uncomfortable looking. She ate and drank this morning and her vent looks clean, but when I continued to inspect her I noticed a fluid-y ball (walnut-sized) near her breast (see pic). We also just noticed bloody stool! We have separated her from the other chickens and are not sure how to proceed - we live in the city and are not evensure where we could have her examined. Please let us know if you have any advice - we are willing to try anything.

Adam

Here is the pic we took:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  2. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    that looks like her crop. has she been outside? She could have cocci. If its cocci treat her with corid or sulmet you can get it at the feed store. If you want you can call vets to ask if they treat chickens. I live in the city and we have one that does.

3. bsntomsn

bsntomsn Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2011
    What city do you live in

4. copperfoot

copperfoot New Egg

Jul 27, 2011
    Yes, we have just started letting them outside (but still in their coop) recently - so there is a chance she has been eating grass/clover. The area-in-question is very soft and fluid-y though, does this and the bloody stool seem to suggest Sour Crop?

Thanks Again!

5. copperfoot

copperfoot New Egg

Jul 27, 2011
    We live just outside Cleveland, OH

6. bsntomsn

bsntomsn Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2011
    The reason I ask, we are in Columbus in the city. I found a vet doing a google search. Search for "Avian vet"

7. North 4th Street Rancher

North 4th Street Rancher New Egg

Jul 15, 2011
    Hi. I am new to this site, but we have had chickens for years. From what you describe this chicken's craw is backed-up. Since you have just begun letting them outside it could be several things. A quick change in diet from processed feed (crumbles, pellets, etc) to forage, etc. could be possible. Something/plant toxic in yard... There are many possibilites but based on your description it is coccidosis; especially since they have just been introduced to ground. Bloody stool; swollen craw; lethargic and sitting with humped-up back are all classic signs. Without being Mr. Doomsday you need to get ahead of it quickly as it rarely stops at one. We use/have used Corid (which is just brand name of Amprolium). We also use it to treat calves/cattle. I am pretty sure it is in most medicated starter feed, but it is too late to revert to starter feed. When you get to the store also pick up a pack of syringes (10-15 cc ones are fine) Also, you will find that the plastic straw on a lubricant can fits into syringe and it is easier if you have to administer liquid orally to any # of small animals.

We are in Illinois and cocci has been bad due to all the heat and wet spring, etc. Most farm stores sell Corid both liquid and in powder form. I prefer powder. You can do the math on the dilution charts but it works out to about a teaspoon a gallon. Since your chickens are headed outside you might as well begin a prevention treatment as well. Good luck.

ps. If you have only had them on processed/bagged feed you are going to need to make sure they get some sort of grit into diet as well. 7 weeks is too early for oyster shell.

8. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Sulmet for cocci and give her a dewormer like Valbazen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by