1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick bath?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Duke84, May 18, 2016.

1. Duke84

Duke84 Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2016
    Reno, NV
    My little 7 week olds are still coop'd up and haven't been introduced to their outdoor run yet, this weekend I am going to let them outside. They seem to be trying to bathe in the shavings that I laid them inside the coop. I watch them flop around in them and sort of toss their winds around throwing the shavings all over themselves. [​IMG] Is this a sign that they are needing an alternative to bathe in? I remember seeing a post about using ash from the fireplace but, is that whats going on? Looking for a bath? If so what is best to provide them and should I wait until this weekend to build them a bath in the dirt outside or is there a good way for something in the coop?

2. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Yes, they are dust bathing with what they have available. I give my chicks a small litterbox of builder's sand in the brooder. They use it both for grit and dust bathing. In the run, I add peat moss to the mixture and will get some wood ashes mixed in there eventually if it ever stops raining...

3. Duke84

Duke84 Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2016
    Reno, NV
    Great! Sounds like thats what I'll do. I have an old aluminum cake pan that'll work great fur that. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by