chick bath?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickemee, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Chickemee

Chickemee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2007
    Texas
    My sister's little chick , only about a week old, was constipated so i was treating him with olive oil, the little container i had on the side was full of olive oil too. Well, he jumped out of my hands and tipped the stuff all over him and now he is all greasy. Is there anyway I can clean her?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  2. Chickemee

Jul 30, 2007
    Texas
    Anyone? Suggestions......Anything? [​IMG]

3. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Take a soft dry wash rag and wipe as much of the oil off as you can, then use a little warm water on the cloth to get off the rest. Dry the chick well using a hair dryer on a low setting. Be careful not to get the dryer too hot, nor let the chick get chilled.

I don't think the chick is constipated. If it has a build up of dried poop on its behind, it has pasty butt and it needs to be removed immediately. While you are getting the oil off, try and remove the poop too. If you don't get it off, it can stop up the chick and kill it.

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Pasty butt indicates GI troubles, often as a result of stress, chilling or feeding soybased feed too soon.
    Shipped chicks are prone to it, most folks saying its the result of chilling during transit.

Prevention is the real key - once they have it, it's too late. Chicks have enough to deal with in the first days of life that they dont need GI complications, too. Mother hens know this, I guess. They take the chicks around the first few days and they pick a little at this and that, but they feed sparingly. So, I rarely give them anything but chopped oatmeal, hardboiled egg and a little crushed CalfManna for the first 2 days after their intitial 72 hours. This and water is it.

Just put a little of any of these in with them and watch. They only pick and sort of mess with it at first, with no real gusto to their efforts. When they get over their birth stress, it soon becomes apparent when they are hungry enough for real feed!

I deal with pasty butt a little more bluntly than most, too, I guess. I fill a bowl with warm water and just dunk their little heinies in it. Hold them there for a few seconds as the poo softens and then work at it gently until it comes off... aint chickens great?

Once you clear the plug, just dry them off well and get them back in the warm brooder.

A good book on how to manage chicks is "Success with Baby Chicks," by Bob Plamondon. Just google it, or look for it on any of the online bookmongers.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2007
  5. Chickemee

Jul 30, 2007
    Texas
    Thank you both so much. The chick is looking better already.

6. hipmarye

hipmarye Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Mississippi
    We gave our big girls a bath before they went to the fair. A woman in our 4H group told us how to do it. We had three buckets one with water and tail and mane shampoo. The next had white vinegar and water and the third had liquid fabric softener and water. We let them air dry since it was in the middle of a heat wave.
    I'd be concerned about giving a little one a bath.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by