Chick bathroom behavior (possibly sick?)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Taloha19, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Taloha19

Taloha19 Hatching

Apr 27, 2018
    I have 2 one week old chicks and 1 that just arrived today.

The little one that just arrived today has some behavior that worries me and I can’t seem to find any info on it.
    She is eating and drinking, although not as much as the older two. And definitely not as active as them. I don’t know if this is stress due to shipping or normal for the age difference. You know, kinda how newborn babies sleep more?

When we first brought her home she screamed for a good couple of hours but then calmed down.

The thing I’m worried about most is her potty habits. She has been nibbling on her hind area so I checked and she had some dry poop on her but not on the vent. Cleaned it off and she still nibbles so I’m not sure that’s the cause. But When she goes to the bathroom, she splays her legs out and wiggles backwards quickly. (This is what causes the poop to get on her). I have no clue why she does that. It’s almost like she is straining to go, but her poops are normal to more on the runny side. Any ideas?

2. chuckachucka

chuckachucka Crowing

Mar 22, 2016
    Birmingham, England, UK.
    They do the little strained wiggle sometimes. Nothing to worry about as long as you keep the vent clear and she is pooping often. You could try giving her a tiny bit of live yogurt for gut health and acv in their water.

3. chuckachucka

chuckachucka Crowing

Mar 22, 2016
    Birmingham, England, UK.
    Also the younger a chick is, the more they sleep. I think your new little chick will be just fine. :)

4. My five week old Silkie does a 'potty dance' every time s/he goes. S/he has no trouble going... doesn't have a messy butt... s/he just squats and dances every time s/he poops. It's just a thing some do, I guess.

chuckachucka likes this.
  5. Taloha19

Taloha19 Hatching

Apr 27, 2018
    Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it

chuckachucka likes this.
  6. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Congrats on the Chicks..
    Everything your describing is normal...Best wishes..

chuckachucka likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: