Chick Bators...

mangled

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
The Wilds of Western PA
Are those little $12 incubators that you see all over eBay actually capable of hatching eggs? I was thinking of getting one, just for fun.

Opinions, anyone?
TIA-
Em

kstaven

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
Jan 26, 2007
BC, Washington Border
I have seen people on this forum comment on them and have yet to see a positive one. there could have been some that I missed, but what I have seen was not good.

orlandoluv1

Songster
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
spring valley , CA
Quote:please if i can convince you of anything pleeeeeeease dont waster your money. i have spent money on two seperate ets of eggs and none have hatched. i even got one to go all the way to the end and nothing so please dont wste your money. i am going to invest in a hovabator as soon as finances allow. it is really ahrd when you have none hatch because you get so attached to these little eggs. i nkow it sounds like a good deal but trust it is not worth the trouble

Josie

Songster
12 Years
Jan 3, 2008
California
Freddy just hatched using this bator last week. He had to stabilize the temps using a box. Here is a link to his thread.

silkiechicken

Staff PhD
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
13 Years
Jan 25, 2007
Everett WA/Corvallis OR
It can work, but like freddy there, if it weren't for the other big bator with eggs... he'd be raising one lone chick. 33% hatch rate really isn't that great. About what I got the first time I hatched chicks, hiding them in a closet in the attic, where my mom couldn't see, using a box with a saran wrap lid, a brooder lamp and the brain power of someone just over a decade old at the time. Needles too say, mom wasn't too happy to find all her clothes in storage covered in hatching dust... I set a whole lot of eggs in this box and the quantity of hatch dust per chick is amazing...

Josie

Songster
12 Years
Jan 3, 2008
California
silkiechicken that is a cool image, I bet you had a lot of fun as a kid.
My daughters classroom used the chick bators and got a 0% hatch rate of quail eggs, meanwhile I had a friend find an egg and put it under a heat lamp and had it hatch.
The chick bators definitely aren't ideal, but if was the difference between trying and not trying I would probably go for it.

conny63malies

Crowing
11 Years
Mar 22, 2008
Annetta Kentucky
my daughter got one but i couldnt bear the thought of dissapointment of her when not a single egg hatches. If you want a cheap incubator get the Hovabator 1602N from GQF. I bought mine for 41$ plus S&H(about 12$ )go to ebay maybe you can find one used even cheaper . Plus one thing to think about .. most eggs you order are sold by 6+ or 12+ what are you going to do with the leftovers.

Top Bottom