Chick beak mucus, lethargic. How to treat?

PhillipsM

In the Brooder
Dec 19, 2019
My 4 week old home-incubated chick began exhibiting strange behavior yesterday. She was running around with siblings in the morning and was fine, but in the afternoon she squawked loudly, shook her head and scratched at her beak. This occurred a few more times and I checked her beak thinking something was stuck. There’s nothing to be seen in the beak or throat, no mites, no eye problems. She became lethargic quickly and refused her favorite egg yolk treat. I gave a small amount of diluted nutridrench last night and separated. In the evening, there was a large amount of mucus in her beak (again, no eye issues). At the time the mucus showed up the poop was well formed. She squaks, shakes head and coughs up mucus every ~30 minutes. This morning, she won’t eat and I haven’t seen her drink, though I try to drip electrolyte water on her beak to induce some drinking to very limited success. This afternoon she had a poop that was very watery and had a yellow tinge. She is very lethargic and falling asleep standing up, but still has energy to chirp back when she hears her siblings. She’s very fluffy normally but I don’t think she’s intentionally fluffing up?

I have Corrid and la-200. Do I treat like it’s Coccidiosis though we have no bloody stool? Do I treat with antibiotics thinking it’s respiratory? I love this sweet little chicken, I don’t have her daddy anymore and really want her to make it. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance

new poop- mucusy, not watery and not yellow.
picture of beak mucus attached- slightly hard to see but there
D7EE1627-E755-4FFF-A36C-1E02DA3B30FE.jpeg

Update: Later last night I was getting very concerned because I hadn’t seen the chick drink water or eat in 24 hours. I mixed a solution of water containing la-200 (1 tsp per gallon), poultry nutridrench at recommended concentration, and a small amount of poultry vitamin/electrolytes. Using a syringe I gave the chick roughly 1 mL of the mixture. This morning she voraciously ate her egg yolk treats and is catching up on all her lost preening time. I limited the egg yolk to encourage her to eat her chick crumbles. Fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom