Chick beak too long & odd swallowing (w/pic)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EggyErin, Apr 2, 2011.

1. EggyErin

EggyErin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Suches, GA
    My month-old Silver Laced Wyandotte has a beak that has way outgrown her body. She looks more like a parrot. I've trimmed it since this picture, just the pale part. I'm very concerned about her ability to eat. I do think she has some trouble and seems to take a long time to swallow - will close her eyes and click her beak real fast. She has always been a bit runtish and still makes distressed peeps even though nothing's going on. At first, I thought maybe SLW's just had odd-shaped beaks but since it's growing longer I have my doubts. Will her bottom beak catch up to the top half? Also, what's that little flap on her throat? Don't know if it really shows on the photo. Thanks!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Hi. I just saw your new member intro post and thought I would wander over here to see what the problem is. I don't really know anything about trimming beaks, but if you are able to post a picture, that might help any others who are more knowledgeable about the subject.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by