Chick becoming Paralyzed?!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wooden_Pony, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

We had (I culled it) a chick that I thought had hurt her leg somehow. SHe could not use it spent her days eating well and just laying around she seems prefectly happy so I let her continue this way until she started not being able to stand up or use her other leg. I figured the loss of the good leg was due to her just sitting all the time. I culled her about a week ago she was still happy and eating well I just could not stand watching her flop around.

This morning I went out to let out our other chicks that were raised with the chick and I saw that my 7 year old's chick foot is not working she is dragging it around.

Is this some sort of diesase?? Please if you can help on this I sure would LOVE to hear from you.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2007
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The very first thing I think of when I hear words like "paralysis" or "can't walk" is Marek's disease. Look that up and see if the symptoms match.

3. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks speckledhen,

sounds kind of like it, but they came from the hatchery vaccinated for it would they still get it??

Lisa

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    ..sometimes the vaccination don't "take"... take photos of your birds symptoms (write up the details culled one as far as you can remember...) if more die or show such severe symptoms then I suggest you get in contact with the hatchery.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by