Chick bedding

jspw

Hatching
Jun 4, 2021
I have my 2 week old chick in a clear plastic box. Lined with 2 layers of paper towels. I replace it twice a day. He’s done great with leaving it alone but he’s now pecking at it, burying himself between the layers, having a great time. I don’t feel that the paper towels are safe any longer because he’s getting stronger, more active/playful. What do I use instead?

I have my 2 week old chick in a clear plastic box. Lined with 2 layers of paper towels. I replace it twice a day. He’s done great with leaving it alone but he’s now pecking at it, burying himself between the layers, having a great time. I don’t feel that the paper towels are safe any longer because he’s getting stronger, more active/playful. What do I use instead?
probably pine chips or shavings. However you will need to put your food and water on top of something because your chick will kick the shavings or chips into its food and water which is unhealthy because he poops in those.

Dry soil worked for me (though my brooder was 90sqft). It also allowed dust-bathing, which is the behaviour your chick is exhibiting behaviours of ”burying “ itself in the paper towels (an essential an innate behaviour).

Back
Top Bottom