chick behavior??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by coachwife2004, Feb 7, 2009.

1. coachwife2004

coachwife2004 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    Texas
    My heat lamp is approximatly 15 inches from the chicks but when the sleep they all get together in a clump in the corner? Is that because they just like to sleep that way or are they cold??? the lamp is directly over them and I can't get it any closer should I just leave them alone??

2. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    It's not clear from your post where the lamp is in relation to the chicks. Are they piling under the lamp in the corner? Or is the lamp far away from the corner.

Put a thermometer in the box. The first week, the chicks need a 90-95 degree temp. Second week 90 degree temp, and each week 5 degrees less until it matches the outside temps (say 50 at the lowest)

If they are too hot from the lamp, they may be trying to get away from the heat.

If they are piling up under the lamp, they are cold.

I think others have said you can cover the box halfway at the top to help keep heat in (make sure it's not going to catch on fire).

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  3. conroy

conroy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    You should have a thermometer under the lamp this way you know the temp. I believe the first week or two is like 95 degrees then you decrease temp by like 5 degrees per week after that... Can't remember exactly... I am sure a real pro will answer soon.

4. sewincircle

sewincircle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    Do you have a thermometer under it? You can put a thermometer in to assure temp is at 90 degrees for awhile and slowly raise the lamp as they get older and start to feather. As long as they are not sufficating one another they should be fine. Mine all sleep together the first week then they begin to spread out. The heat is the same , I just think its comfort level. You know?? How old are the little guys?

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    They like to sleep like this:

[​IMG]

However, if they are sleeping like that and are under the light then they're too cold. The chicks in the above picture were not sleeping under the light, but they were warm and comfortable.

ETA: Are you using a heat bulb or just a regular bulb? If you are using a regular bulb and can't adjust the height the simplest solution would be to use a higher wattage bulb.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  6. coachwife2004

Dec 29, 2008
    Texas
    I'm using a heat lamp they are pretty near the lamp, they are not trying to get away from the heat. they only lump together when they are sleeping, other times they are all running around and seem actually to be searching for food and scratching the papertowels for sprinkles of food. They are about a week old now

7. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    If when they are awake they are running all over the place and only clumping up to sleep I wouldn't worry about them.
    A comfortable chick is a very active thing. Clumping under the lamp, even when not sleeping, and alot of loud peeping means they are trying to tell you they are too cold.

8. coachwife2004

Dec 29, 2008
    Texas
    I gave them a grap to play with they seem really bored... and were really excited to push it around and chase it so I think they are fairly active little things they get pretty excited when I sprinkle the feed around on the bottom of the brooder.

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Coachwife, I may be misunderstanding you. If so, I apologize.
    While it's fine to sprinkle some feed around on the floor of their brooder to give them something to do, you should also make sure that your feeders have food in them at all times. Some chicks just don't start out being able to scratch and hunt for their feed as well as the others can.

10. coachwife2004

Dec 29, 2008
    Texas
    ohh yeah I have a round galvanized feeder with the holes ya know, but they seem to also like it when I dig alittle out of there and put it around but they always have a full feeder in with them and the little waterer which gets disgusting in such a short amount of time I feel like I clean it all the time......uggggg thanks for the concern![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by