chick behavior

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by osborn, Jul 10, 2010.

1. osborn

osborn New Egg

Jul 10, 2010
    I have 8 chicks, almost three weeks old of 6 different breeds. They've tripled in size since I got them but I'm worried about one. She's either the silver cucuoo maran or the speckled sussex, I'm not sure which. She's very tame because I kept a close eye on her as she got "pasted up" when she was about a week old, but she's much smaller than the others and very slow moving. Her feathers are coming in like the others but she just slowly waddles around while the others are starting to fly and run around like a bunch of hooligans. Occasionally I isolate her from the others when they're really getting wild and she can't find a place to hide out. Is something wrong with her? What should I do?
    Thanks so much,
    -from a worried newbie chicken lover-

2. Liana

Liana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Southern NH
    She may be at the bottom of the peck order. Does she get bumped/bullied away from the feeder? You may want to separate her from the others once a day and let her eat her fill of mashed up hard boiled egg and yoghurt. Poultry vitamins or infant Poli-vi-Sol withOUT iron could help boost her has well.

3. osborn

osborn New Egg

Jul 10, 2010
    :thumbsupThanks Liana,
    I'll try it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by