Chick Behavior

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Roy Rooster, May 12, 2011.

1. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Hi All, [​IMG]

I am brooding my first flock of chicks. They are 2 weeks old now and so far enjoying brooder life.

I have noticed that a few of the chicks are fighting, I mean going at it beak to beak wings flapping
    kind of like a rooster would do when flogging. I ordered from a breeder who sexed the chicks and
    I have ordered one rooster.

My question is, is this normal chick behavior, or do I have a few
    bad apples? [​IMG]

I do have a brooder large enough for the chicks and the heat lamp is providing the
    appropriate amount of heat. Any advice from those more experienced would be great. [​IMG]:confused:

Thanks

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Yes, even hens chest bump each other.

As long as you don't have bloody chickens, and you don't see true bullying (where they look like they will actually kill each other), everything is fine!

3. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    Thanks for your reply.

No one is bleeding, I do not see any real bullying going on.
    They do not do it often just once in a while.

I am glad that it is normal behavior, I was beginning to worry that I had a
    few bad apples in the bunch.

Thanks agian [​IMG]

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:You are welcome! [​IMG]

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Chest bumping, feather flaring, and jumping at each other is all very normal behavior. This is part of the development of the pecking order, and yes, it starts in the brooder!

Other normal behavior: the zoomies, when they take off and RUN LIKE HECK here and there. It's contagious, too.

"Dead" chicks. Nope, they're not dead, even if it looks like they are. Tap the side of the brooder and watch 'em all wake up. [​IMG] They also fall asleep on their feet and topple right over, slowly. Thump.

Dust bathing in the brooder litter. No, that is not a seizure, honest.

Sunning themselves under the heat lamp. Yes, they lay on their sides, spread out a wing and bask in the warmth. Then they turn over and baste the other side....

6. Roy Rooster

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    [​IMG]:yuckyuck

Thank you so much for your post. I had not noticed some of the other behaviors yet but I am sure
    they are soon to come. I liked how you named all of the funny things that chicks do.

I will be on the look out for the zoomies, the bedding bathers, and the basters in the lamp. I am sure
    I will have many laughs coming.

I am glad to know that all is normal with my chicks so far. They have a large brooder and plenty
    of room to roam and play.

Thanks [​IMG]

7. scrange79

scrange79 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    California
    Quote:Ha! I just got my chicks this afternoon and witnessed all that behavior in the first hour. The "zoomies" are funny! I swear when we put all 10 chicks in the brooder the Speckled Sussex was zooming all over the place, with an ear piercing screech. It seemed like she was looking for someone or a way to get out. She finally settled down after a while. So far, she is the obnoxious one of the bunch. fun fun [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by