Chick Being Alienated; Need Help Soon if Possible!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TehLizardKing, Aug 23, 2013.

1. TehLizardKing

TehLizardKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2012
    Lincolnshire
    So, my little Cream Crested Legbar babe was hatched under a broody, not in an inky as planned, as I had to go away for a while and couldn't find any people who could operate the dang thing! Anywhoo, of the 12 eggs under the two hens that were broody, (one girl joined halfway through as the other needed a bit of help) only two hatched, and as I thought 10 more were going to be popping out soon, christened them Alpha and Beta. Alpha, my little dude, unfortunately died when he fell off of the perch at night and got too cold, and that saddened Dolly (one of the mothers) so much that she rejoined the flock and left Peanut (the other mum) to look after Beta.

5 weeks later, and the four other hens in this particular flock (the other flocks keep out of each others' business, especially where chicks are involved) have started pecking her quite forcefully and chasing her away. She regularly runs up to Peanut to get some attention or food, and Peanut just raises her neck feathers and pecks at her like she's an outsider.

She also cant get anywhere near the feeders, as she'll only eat out of the ones she recognises, and the other birds peck at her whenever she tries to eat or drink. Then the flock will move off, and Beta wont stay and eat because she doesnt like to be alone.
    What is most interesting is that Gandalf, the cock, doesn't care at all. He'll let her sit underneath him and steal food from his beak, but the hens then beat him up for helping her, and he doesnt want to get unpopular either.

So my poor little girl is all alone, and I doubt she'll be permitted to roost in the coop tonight. What do I do? I could put her in the aviary, but I'm not sure she'd be any better off. I have a small-ish empty cockatiel cage, but that's WAY too small. I could put her in the big shed with the red-legged partridges, I dont think the four of them, skittish and hyper as they are, would bother a chick the size of themselves as long as they had their own spaces, there is always the potting shed, i'll have to empty the tools out though. What do you guys think is the best bet? I'd bring her inside, but i'm sure my parents wouldnt allow it, seeing as we've just managed to move the cockatiels, finches, lovebirds, quail and partridges outside into the shed and the aviary, and they stated 'We really do love birds, son, but they aren't meant for the house!"

Thanks for reading my drivel guys, and any help would be appreciated [​IMG].

**UPDATE**

I literally just saw Beta sitting under Peanut as the whole flock were preening... she sat there for about five minutes, then when Peanut stopped preening, she chased beta off again... ARG!? what do I do?...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  2. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    When my broodys hatch out chicks and this behavior starts I know those chick are no longer welcome and I remove the shunned chicks to a new safe location without hens. In some cases I have had a hatch(like with my last hatch) she hatched out 5 babies, 3 of which at 8 weeks old had to be removed because the other flock members were not letting them eat, drink, roost or even go in the coop. They oddly though allowed the other 2 chicks to join their flock and let them roost with them and they never get peck ect so they stayed. They are now 12 weeks old and still snuggle with the broody on her nest(she is broody again babies hatching this weekend). The other 3 are still separated awaiting a permant home.

Its your choice but it sounds like they aren't interested in having a chick around and it may not be safe for her. Im not sure out of the locations you mentioned would be best though.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  3. aguamarina

aguamarina Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2013
    I hope you can bring her inside, that's how I got my precious chick, now 1 year and 8 months recently a happy momma. Becoming her momma was the best pet experience I had, and I am happy she still comes when I call her name even now she has a life of her own, in my patio of course lol

4. TehLizardKing

TehLizardKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2012
    Lincolnshire
    Thanks loads guys, I got her into the shed on her own, and she calmed down loads. She seemed to like listening to the calls of the birds in the aviary, and has also put on a bit of weight, as she was exceptionally skinny before. My baby might just be ok now. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by