Chick being bullied

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Repleon, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Repleon

Repleon New Egg

Jan 21, 2010
    East Haven
    Ok i am at a loss. Back in April my hens hatched 7 eggs. The 8th needed a bit of help out of that shell. Well it is that 8th chick i am having a little trouble with. Of all the chicks hatched that 2 weeks, this little one, named by my niece as Runt, gets all beat up by the other chickens). They are all silkies, 2 white roos, a partridge hen, a midnight black hen, and the 7 little chicks. They all were hatched by the partridge hen(named Redd) except 3. About a month after they hatched, we allowed all 3 of the chicks that were hatched inside to meet their parents and siblings. 2 immediately integrated into the flock. The third was so badly beaten up we feared he wouldn't make it thru the night. Well he did and he has been separate ever since. Every time we bring Runt near the flock without a fence in between, the 2 roos attack him. If the roos are not around then the chicks and Redd attacks. I know about pecking order, and i know this aint it. They are relentless to this little guy. We have a fairly large area as their home and are allowed to wonder the yard all day, and as of now Runt is still in a fence adjacent to the rest of the flock and been that way now for about a month. Any in-sight as to why they keep attacking him would be helpful. Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by